[SOLVED] Multi-step registration

EagerWolf

I need to make multi-step registration form (like wizzard) with 5 steps. Where should I store steps' input?

Example:

1. step:
Name
Lastname
Country
Address
etc.

When you click next, data should be store somewhere... And when guest is on step 2 I want him to be able to return to step 1 and edit entered data.
Where should I store all data?
I don't want steps to be stored in MySQL, because I want all data to be written in MySQL at the end of proces (after 5 steps).

10x for your help!

[quote author=ted_chou12 link=topic=119933.msg491719#msg491719 date=1167143522]
for registeration, it doesnt matter that much actually, because the person whos gonna get the inforamtion is signupper as well. so eventough you are using sessions, others cant know.
[/quote]

@ted_chou12
  I disagree with that. Registration is very important and often a source of weakness for most beginners sites.

@EagerWolf

You could use ether a session or a temporary table in your db to store it. Now it really depends on how secure this app has to be. I would stick with the sessions as they will require less steps and system resources.

If it is security that you are worried about you could pass the session variables through some sort of hashing function. Maybe store the key in a table or whatever.

Good Luck,
Tom

Also you may want to consider this:

If your registration is multi-paged, long and involved, you might want to consider the db route.  If I had 10 pages of stuff to fill out and knew I was gonna be sitting in front of the computer for the next hour just to register...what if I had to suddenly leave? Or suddenly my connection was lost? I'd hate to have to start all over.  If you have each page's info stored in the db, then you can write your script to detect what the user has done so far, and just skip those steps (well, allow them to go back and change it/look it over, etc..). 

What you would do initially is a bare necessities register/login script: get an email address and a password from the user, send an activation key to their email address, user clicks on it or else enters the key back into the form to be 'activated' and now they can login to continue registration. 

Now when the user logs in, until the rest of the registration pages are complete, your script would automatically navigate to where they left off. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.