Users cost YouTube $1Million per day in bandwidth

dreamwest

I read here a while ago some ppl thought YouTube was getting unlimited storage and bandwidth for next to nothing.

Article excerpt:

In August 2006, The Wall Street Journal published an article revealing that YouTube was hosting about 6.1 million videos (requiring about 600 terabytes of storage space), and had about 500,000 user accounts.[5] As of April 9, 2008, a YouTube search returns about 83.4 million videos and 3.75 million user channels.[6][7] It is estimated that in 2007, YouTube consumed as much bandwidth as the entire Internet in 2000, and that around 13 hours of video are uploaded every minute.[8][9][10] In March 2008, its bandwidth costs were estimated at approximately $1 million a day.

"However, delivering all those free video clips isn’t cheap. YouTube sends a staggering 1,000 gigabytes of data every second, or nearly 300 billion GBs each month. Several industry insiders estimate that YouTube spends roughly $1 million a day just to pay for the bandwidth to host the videos."

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/03/25/youtube-looks-for-the-money-clip/

No source given for either statement, and it's estimated.  It could be less, could be more.  Bandwidth isn't exactly cheap when it comes to 300B GB/month, so if that's true, I wouldn't be surprised if it's $1 mil/day.

Hrmmm good point....  For all we know, they are their own ISP, and those are still their operating costs ;p.  Does Google function as their own ISP?  Ya know, I guess technically everything goes uphill with that, so unless they're at the very top, wouldn't they be paying someone?  No idea how higher up ISPs work.  ISPs' ISPs lol.  (Or atleast equal to the very top.)

Not sure if Google are making as much revenue as they could or should be making for YouTube, therefore Google is added new video ads or something another to generate more revenue. I find it difficult to see how Google makes revenue out of YouTube really - maybe they need to start making subscription based services or something to bring in revenue they need. Google's shares are down recently too, so don't know what this means for Google.

Incase you haven't noticed bastones, the entire stock market is down ;p.  (Although Google started going down before the 'crash'.)

I would imagine they make money simply off of ads.  I guess ads on large sites like that pull in a ton of money.  Don't know why else MySpace, Facebook and some other sites would've sold for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars.  I don't see where the money is either lol.

Incase you haven't noticed bastones, the entire stock market is down ;p.  (Although Google started going down before the 'crash'.)

I would imagine they make money simply off of ads.  I guess ads on large sites like that pull in a ton of money.  Don't know why else MySpace, Facebook and some other sites would've sold for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars.  I don't see where the money is either lol.

Facebook has like, a Marketplace thing which could net them some profit, and of course, ads.

google owns the internet. i mean really  picture it in your head google closes all google services disapear whats the outlook for the internet?

i mean yea the internet wont go away but i bet alot of users would.. Google has completly changed the internet as we know it without them who knows where we would go..

1 Million a day isnt that insane of a total for them

Naw...google isn't the only search engine out there...if it disappeared people would just use msn, yahoo, askjeeves, or any of the other hundred search engines.  The internet functioned just fine before google.  Sure, people are just used to the name so thats what most use.  It would be great for my business if google died as I would have to redo some clients work that relies on google APIs.  Google is just the best at what they do...but I wouldn't say they own the net, no more than I would say Microsoft owns computers.

what host? and at what cost?

im currently not paying and my server allows anything i want to do (my Business partner co owns a server company)

but you never know how long they will be able to support us using the service for free. plus it might come in handly for customers  and such to get good hosting

Lamez, I challenge you to use it all. Just write a script that will repeatedly download large files thus use both a lot of space and bandwidth. Damn overselling companies. Only reason why they can sell it is because they know that people don't use it. Like with airplanes, sometimes they expect that not everybody will show up so they oversell. When everybody then actually shows up they're screwed.

It's when you actually need to use a lot of bandwidth like YouTube does that it gets really expensive. I mean it's pretty easy to sell you a bazillion-million-gillion gigabytes because I know you won't even use all that within the fair use/tos conditions.

Check this out in your TOS for instance:

Subscriber acknowledges that the nature of the service furnished and the initial rates and charges have been communicated to Subscriber. Subscriber is aware that the Company may prospectively change the specified rates and charges from time to time. The promotional offer is contingent upon Company achieving and maintaining its cost of service goals including but not limited to rates charged to company by its suppliers.

If they suddenly cannot live up to what they've promised then they can just drop the rates on all accounts. There is nothing you can do about that because you agreed to the TOS when you signed up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.