Windows 7

The Little Guy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Excited" implies that one feels some kind of happiness about the situation.  While I am certainly interested in what Microsoft has in store for us, due to the fact that they utterly dominate the markets to the point where I can't just go down to my local store and buy a computer without some version of windows on it, I am certainly not excited about it.

due to the fact that they utterly dominate the markets to the point where I can't just go down to my local store and buy a computer without some version of windows on it, I am certainly not excited about it.

You're also paying for (for example) HP's name on it.  If you don't want to pay the extra costs you build your own.  It's not only the OS you're paying extra for when purchasing from the store.

I think Vista's problems were blown out of proportion.  People hear about other people having problems, then start whining about those problems themselves even though they don't experience it.  I've been using vista for a while now and I haven't ran into any abnormal problems.  Maybe a couple driver issues, but upgrading your old stuff never hurt the economy.

due to the fact that they utterly dominate the markets to the point where I can't just go down to my local store and buy a computer without some version of windows on it, I am certainly not excited about it.

You're also paying for (for example) HP's name on it.  If you don't want to pay the extra costs you build your own.  It's not only the OS you're paying extra for when purchasing from the store.

I think Vista's problems were blown out of proportion.  People hear about other people having problems, then start whining about those problems themselves even though they don't experience it.  I've been using vista for a while now and I haven't ran into any abnormal problems.  Maybe a couple driver issues, but upgrading your old stuff never hurt the economy.

Price has nothing to do with my complaint.  Nor does any "bugs" windows may or may not have.  It's the fact that I can't go to my local computer store and choose my OS.  Yes I know I can have a computer custom built (by myself or someone else).  That's not the point.

And p.s.- I bought a new computer a couple months ago and it has vista on it.  So far, I don't really have any complaints. 

Aside from the Windows OS a computer comes with, what other options do you want?  You can download Linux yourself for free and install it just the way you want.  I don't think it should be something that computer manufacturing companies should worry about.  They need to make money in order to sell the computers in the first place, so they're going to give you windows.  If that's not what you want then there's plenty of other ways to do it, it's just your responsibility, not theirs.  That's just how I see it.

Aside from the Windows OS a computer comes with, what other options do you want?  You can download Linux yourself for free and install it just the way you want.

It is a problem when the OS that ships with the computer is not free and you're almost always forced to buy it if you go to your local store and buy a computer. Why would I for instance want to pay for a Windows license if I know for sure I won't use it and that I'll install another OS instead of it?

I feel I am using Windows XP with extra bells and whistles...

Vista has many under the hood changes from XP. Just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

It is a problem when the OS that ships with the computer is not free and you're almost always forced to buy it if you go to your local store and buy a computer. Why would I for instance want to pay for a Windows license if I know for sure I won't use it and that I'll install another OS instead of it?

Very true and i fully agree but most users will use the windows so they do it for the ease of the bigger target audience. Ive done tech support for years most users cant even install windows without help.

let alone picking a different os

ive had callers who didnt even know there was other os's to choose from

[...] but most users will use the windows [...]

This is related to:

ive had callers who didnt even know there was other os's to choose from

If there is no pre-installed OS then they'll have to make a choice themselves instead of being "forced" to use something.

I have nothing against Windows and I use it myself along with Ubuntu, but I do think people should have a choice and know their choices.

I have nothing against Windows and I use it myself along with Ubuntu, but I do think people should have a choice and know their choices.

They have computers that come stock with Linux OS's now...

(1) Vista has been problematic, and they are slow to fixing the problems.  So the question stands, "Why are we working the Vista's successor when Vista still has miles of improvements that have yet to be covered."

(2) Release in 32-bit and 64-bit?  Do they realize that most retail stores now ONLY carry 64-bit?  Hence, many software companies are making the move to be compliant with 64-bit.  If we are moving towards Windows 7, why not set the expectation for all software companies to develop for 64-bit and set the bar there (hardware companies too, i guess).  Lets do away with 32-bit.

(3) As for pre-installed windows. Specialized shipments.  Best Buy has Geek Squad, right?  Special ship product to stores that have no OS on them.  Give the customer the choice of their computer (hardware only), OS's off the shelf (windows [pay], linux [ubuntu?], mac os [you can install mac os on a pc computer], etc).  The customer buys the software (where fees apply), buys the hardware (much cheaper stand-alone) and pays a fee (roughly $130 to install the OS, find the drivers, and set the unit up).  Granted they could carry standard computers as well, just a lower selection, because we all know that Wal-Mart and Circuit City will have standard computers.

(3) As for pre-installed windows. Specialized shipments.  Best Buy has Geek Squad, right?  Special ship product to stores that have no OS on them.  Give the customer the choice of their computer (hardware only), OS's off the shelf (windows [pay], linux [ubuntu?], mac os [you can install mac os on a pc computer], etc).  The customer buys the software (where fees apply), buys the hardware (much cheaper stand-alone) and pays a fee (roughly $130 to install the OS, find the drivers, and set the unit up).   Granted they could carry standard computers as well, just a lower selection, because we all know that Wal-Mart and Circuit City will have standard computers.

it just wouldn't make sense for manufacturers to assemble blank installed machines.  the margins would probably be too low to warrant having a separate line for them.  they'd also lose income from the software firms that pay them to ship pre-installed.  i mean, anyone who would want to pay their OS license and installation fees would probably need to both shell out enough money and do enough research to warrant doing it for themselves.  i mean, anyone who's expressed disappointment at the lack of choice is usually competent enough to assemble one themselves anyway, aren't they?

not to say this isn't an issue, i just think there's a good reason why #3 isn't implemented.

(2) Release in 32-bit and 64-bit?  Do they realize that most retail stores now ONLY carry 64-bit?  Hence, many software companies are making the move to be compliant with 64-bit.  If we are moving towards Windows 7, why not set the expectation for all software companies to develop for 64-bit and set the bar there (hardware companies too, i guess).  Lets do away with 32-bit.

To be fair, this isn't something exclusive to windows is it?

I don't think you should have an OS choice if they are going to charge you to put put the OS on the computer. I would bet that Best Buy and Circuit City wouldn't lower their price for a computer just because it doesn't have an OS, so you would be charged an extra $130 to install a new OS, and if the OS isn't free you would also have to buy the OS too.

I guess it's ridiculous that those people have to do so though.

IMO, not really.  if we're building our own machines we're naturally more picky than others anyway.  i can imagine anyone who would rather not use windows could point to any given pre-built machine and point out at least one component they'd replace to suit their own needs (more RAM, faster or lower-voltage CPU, better video card).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.