Advertisements on PHP Freaks

Due to high costs of keeping this site online it has been decided to put advertisements on the forums.

If you wish to hide the ads, please consider donating instead of using ad blocking tools, as all advertisements will be hidden for people in the PHP Freaks Donator group.

Advertisements have not yet been added to the main site, but they will follow shortly.

Main site announcement

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks. Ads for hosting companies are fine for now. We're not accepting orders at WebHost Freaks or Server Powered at this time anyways, so I'm cool with that.

Thanks for putting the ads up and, more importantly, keeping the wheels turning here.

Regards,

Whats up with the ads? They aren't even relevant! Make them something good (like software) and I'd click em. lol

I see em as Youtube advertisements... is that different for other people?

I won't see them for long though, I think I will join the donated list cuz this website is handy.

Thanks for the hard work guys

You know...if you are going to put up ads, I don't think through them within the threads is the right location. I would put them in all that nice blue empty space within the top of the site (where the PHP Freaks logo is.. you got tons of nothing beside the logo).

I'm going to fathom a guess here that the links to rediculous youtube piano footage adverts (actually, regardless of what the ads are for) is to irritate the users into submitting money (meaning, hey look, I'm placing ads right in your face where you wont miss it). But I don't think this is the proper way to go about getting collections from people. Use proper ad placement etiquette and insert them on top of the site..

Some of the ads are relevant, others aren't. Not much I can do about it.

With regards to relevence, is there not any specialized systems like Google that gear the ads towards relevent site content? Surely there must be some more 'organized affiliation programs'.

I'm going to fathom a guess here that the links to rediculous youtube piano footage adverts (actually, regardless of what the ads are for) is to irritate the users into submitting money (meaning, hey look, I'm placing ads right in your face where you wont miss it).

People pay to have their ads seen, not to have their ads hidden and tucked away where nobody notices them. Besides, the entire only takes up about 200px vertically and I do not think they're very intrusive. We've had ads embedded within the first post in the corner before and we had no problems with that either.

If you wish the ads to go away then I'm afraid you'll have to send us a regular sum of money because bills do not pay themselves.

With regards to relevence, is there not any specialized systems like Google that gear the ads towards relevent site content? Surely there must be some more 'organized affiliation programs'.

I said that I (as in me, Daniel0 on phpfreaks.com) cannot do anything against it. I don't know how the AdSense/Youtube advertising control panels look like as I do not have access to them. The person who does that is Eric/phpfreak.

I said that I (as in me, Daniel0 on phpfreaks.com) cannot do anything against it. I don't know how the AdSense/Youtube advertising control panels look like as I do not have access to them. The person who does that is Eric/phpfreak.

Sorry, I was responding to not only you but I suppose to the php freaks admin in general (whoever is in charge of the adverts).

On a related note, upon checking the donor page, I have a question.

It reads: "In return you'll get stars and a flashy name. Moreover, all advertisements will be hidden when you are logged in using a donor account."

So if I understand correctly, I would need a separate account (new 'flashy' name)? I could not use my current screen name / account that is simply upgraded to a donor status? Perhaps I am misunderstanding things.. but by the way this is worded, I get the sense that the original account is not taken into consideration.

Anyone else notice a long delay now from when the first post displays along with the ad (every post I've seen only has YouTube), then a short while later the rest of the replies display?

I have a delay, I wouldnt say that it is a long delay, but it is definitely noticeable.

Maybe I should reword it. You'll just get a different color like for instance I'm red. It will just move you to another group. The most important part in terms of changes will be that ads are disabled.

Ah ok, so this would mean I still get to keep my account 'nrg_alpha', with all the posting history, number of posts, profile, etc..?

Ah ok.. perfect. Then yes, perhaps rewording the donors page to better reflect this explaination. I was under the impression I would need to use a separate login to a separate donor account (thus abandoning this current one, and starting all over with a brand new identity that has nothing to do with the one I am currently using).

I changed it to:

For a small amount of money you'll be able to support PHP Freaks and thereby keep it running. In return your account will get a special color and stars will be displayed under your username. Moreover, all advertisements will be hidden when you are logged in.

Better?

No, it's for active subscribers only. Either way you'll be supporting us. Either by paying us directly (subscription) or by paying us indirectly (by having ads shown).

The subscription is an extension of the normal donating we used to have where you would get no recognition.

Anyone else notice a long delay now from when the first post displays along with the ad (every post I've seen only has YouTube), then a short while later the rest of the replies display?

I have a delay, I wouldnt say that it is a long delay, but it is definitely noticeable.

You're just going to have to put up with it. :P

You're just going to have to put up with it. :P

Obviously

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.