Remember Me

The Little Guy

passwords are automatically encrypted if you use the password type.

Lol, No they're not...  I hope this isn't how you set up any of your systems...

The characters are replaced with dots when you type, but that's not considered encrypted...

Why did a college professor lie to me about it then?

Probably wasn't a lie, he just didn't know what he was talking about.

Why wouldn't password automatically encrypt the data when sending it?

Because thats not what it does nor has it ever been its intended purpose.

Why did a college professor lie to me about it then?  Why wouldn't password automatically encrypt the data when sending it?

Lol, I highly doubt the professor was lying to you...  You probably weren't paying attention or didn't understand what the professor was talking about so you just made an assumption.

Agreed. This is not a lie, just he was just a substance of a bad book and never bothered to update himself on new security tactics. I used to do that too for my sites, now I know how sessions work and I store a hash for "loggedin" in a cookie if remember me is checked and this is stored in the DB for that user. If his time expired or that session was changed it is trashed. If he comes back on validly then I regenerate a new hash at that time and update the cookie.

But as stated, he did not lie. He is just mis-informed.

passwords are automatically encrypted if you use the password type.

I also agree with everyone that the password isn't auto encrypted for these reasons:

A. The server wouldn't be able to decrypt it and read: if($_POST['pass'] == 'xxx')

B. SSL would be useless.

C. There wouldn't be password encryption tutorials on the internet.

As I was implementing this, I ran across this problem...

Since I am regenerating a new Cookie value every time auto login only works on one computer.

So, lets say I tell the site to remember my login, it logs in every time fine. Now lets say I go to a new computer and I want that computer to also "Remember Me", now that computer will remember me, but the other one will not.

Any suggestions for this problem?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.