I'M A PC. Wish I wasn't

JonnoTheDev

I have come to believe that it is FACT that general computer users are switching their PC's to MACs, not because they offer any more functionality, but simply because they look cool.

A large number of our clients have now switched to a MAC. When you ask the question, why? The most common answer is because they look good. This is highly frustrating when they do not know how to use the damn thing!

I have to admit though, a friend was showing me his new macbook connected up to a 42in Sony flatscreen and after about 5 minutes I was thinking, 'I have to have one. I need one'.

Until I can afford this sexy piece of technology, I guess I will have to hide in the corner with my Toshiba while MAC users look over in disgust. Maybe I can spray paint it white for the time being.

I have a couple of Macs, generally just for testing stuff on, and I do like OS X over any flavour of Windows - I couldn't care less about how the machine looks, if I'm really honest, I don't like the white plasticy-ness of my MacBooks, though the newer aluminium ones look a lot better. But that's not why I buy a computer.

I personally think that Macs are better for the average computer user, they are easier to use, they do "just work", and in the 5 years that I have had at least one sitting around, I can count on one hand how many times it has crashed, with fingers to spare. I'm forever swearing at the two Windows machines in my office - They'd be wiped off if I didn't need it for running Quickbooks and IE.

Note: I use GNU/Linux day-to-day.

I think Semi hit the nail on the head. For computer users who do not know any better, a Mac is great as they do "Just Work". However, for users who like to customize and have full control, Unix all the way, and for the ones who want something that is more robust and provides us with interesting work arounds, Windows is there :)

I would switch to a Mac, but I freaking hate having a single mouse click and I hate the trendy ness of it. I mean come on $2,500 for a computer I can get for $800 with Windows or $500 with Linux....seriously. Just buy a Windows PC and put the Mac OS X on it and be happy :)

For testing, however, I can totally see owning a mac as hardware can have issues on programs.

I think Semi hit the nail on the head. For computer users who do not know any better, a Mac is great as they do "Just Work". However, for users who like to customize and have full control, Unix all the way, and for the ones who want something that is more robust and provides us with interesting work arounds, Windows is there :)

I would switch to a Mac, but I freaking hate having a single mouse click and I hate the trendy ness of it. I mean come on $2,500 for a computer I can get for $800 with Windows or $500 with Linux....seriously. Just buy a Windows PC and put the Mac OS X on it and be happy :)

For testing, however, I can totally see owning a mac as hardware can have issues on programs.

This.  I like OSX, but Apple hardware is way too expensive, and I hate that the one-button mouse is still the default.

When I finally get my new laptop (yay early Christmas present!), I'll probably turn it into a dual-boot Win7/Ubuntu machine.  Windows for my .NET stuff, Adobe stuff, and gaming, Ubuntu for my open source stuff.  Best of both worlds, baby!

I want a 27" iMac, not only because it does look nice (granted, the whole stainless steel, rounded corner design is starting to get old IMO), but also because I want to use it as both a Mac and as a Windows PC (dual OS). I get the best of both worlds reliably (instead of building a hackintosh, which I understand the Leopard / Snow Leopard OS is nototriously tricky / finicky to get running as it requires specific hardware.. at least, that's what I read.. can't confirm or deny this, as I never tried it).

I still think Apple hardware is over rated and over priced, but they do seem like good machines (just not comparible bang for buck against PCs these days).

New apple hardware is pretty slick and come a long way.  You pay a premium for it though, which I just can't bring myself to do and can't afford to do.  I'll say this though, macs do have their share of problems, but not nearly to the extent they used to.  I've been supporting a large number or ibooks and older imacs for quite a few years and the older hardware is garbage.  The OS is relatively solid and improving.  I integrate a mac/win environment with Active Directory that sometimes has some quirks, but again, they keep improving. 

I would never use a Mac just because it looks good. I want a Mac, but not because it looks good. It has the software on it that I can use for my media course and potential side projects. This is because Windows do not really have any good video editing software on it. So, to be honest...why go for a computer that looks cool, when you have no idea on how to do anything on it. I would choose functionality over style anyday.

I'll keep it short - I've worked with a MAC and I will never again work with a MAC.

----

There isn't anything a MAC can do that PCs can't. Only unexperienced users choose MAC, because of the design. Windows have the best and most complete PnP support for devices and components, best graphic interface (that is very customizable), superior performance in heavy duty tasks, best graphics software (not to mention all the high-end, real-time graphics rendering in games), best and most complete collection of billions of softwares with both open and closed sources, and I must mention the most adaptive environment for both beginners and advanced professionals.

I don't use Macs because of my hatred for Apple. Why do I hate Apple? No reason, i'm just very irrational sometimes, and hate and love things on a whim. Funny thing is I have an iPod (like everyone else) and an Apple sticker on my PC.

I have used Macs tho, and they are pretty cool. Not worth the money tho... Once all the glamour fades, and the price goes down maybe ill buy one.

What is mac exactly? Is it an OS or different hardware? or maby both..

I'm for keeping things universal. If Mac is using different hardware, then I would be against it.

Can you install mac on a PC? I never really understood it.  Someone enlighten me.  :psychic:

Technically, "a Mac" is the hardware - It derives from their original Macintosh. If you install Windows on the machine, it's still a Mac. OS X is the OS.

Hammers are better than screw drivers are better than wrenches.

You gotta pick the right tool for the job.

Average user, day-to-day business unrelated to video or CAD: Windows

Average user, day-to-day business in video or CAD: Mac

Average user, general purpose multimedia machine: Windows or Mac

Gaming rig: Windows

Novice user, non-business: Mac

Stable server: Linux

For the extreme enthusiast that likes to tweak every thing and doesn't mind spending 24 hours on something that should take 10 minutes or less, it doesn't really matter.

My parents rendered their Windows PC inoperable three times in a row in less than three months.  The number of phone calls I received from them about the PC and the weekends I spent reinstalling Windows were a real pain.  On the fourth time they destroyed it, I said, "That's it.  We're going to CompUSA and you're buying a Mac."

That was like three years ago and their Mac is still running like a champ.  I haven't had a "Help me with my computer" phone call in months either.

Exactly how is Windows 800$ while Linux is 500$? You can get a MS OS under 100$ and they use the same hardware so where does this other 200$ come from?

Exactly how is Windows 800$ while Linux is 500$? You can get a MS OS under 100$ and they use the same hardware so where does this other 200$ come from?

It all depends on the OS type :) Sure home basic os goes for $100, but honestly who uses that? For the Pro content it gets up to around $200.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=167235

That is just for the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 Pro :) The non upgrade is $300 and the Ultimate is a bit more expensive. (sorry if the link above violates ToS...)

16 GB available disk space (32-bit)  [/quote

Wow, that OS is a fourth of my entire HD size!

Anyways, XP is still the most common used OS so I was going by those statistics. For most people the basic version of XP will work and so that extra 100$ will do everything that person wants but sure I didn't realize how much they were charging for Windows 7.

I agree with Rooperts post about what OS is best for who.

Average user, day-to-day business in video or CAD: Mac

Given Autodesk's attitude towards MacOS I would scratch some half of CAD users from here. They say, you can run their products on virtual machine... but what's the point?

One thing I don't understand, is why people classify them as either a Mac or a PC... Surely a Mac is a PC?

According to Apple, their operating system is so special that it can only (and is only allowed to) run on their own hardware. Therefore, I think it's reasonable making a distinction.

I suppose you can say "Hi, I'm a Mac and I'm a ~Mac", but that seems quite stupid. What other word would you suggest for "~Mac"? When practically everybody in the general population makes the distinction between PC/Mac it's easier just following that convention than trying to force another, more technically accurate, word through.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.