Shity staff

3raser

Flame at me all you want. I'm tired of staff deleting my topics, yes, I may have two, the only reason I did that is because I wanted to edit my old thread and put more information in, but as usual, their is no "Edit" button. And they don't even ask, they just fucking go "yipp-e-d-do". I'm tired of this poor lack of staff.

Now ban me, and go against me and flame, I don't care. My opinion isn't changing.

No, it's their damn job.

It's not our job at all.  Everything we do is completely volunteer.  Completely out of the kindness of our own hearts.  It's like christmas everyday here... it's just you seem to get coal everyday.  If you keep everything within the same thread rather than trying to plant your seed in every board, you might actually get an effective, accurate answer/solution.

It may also help to re-think your question.  Put it into terms of a 5 year old if you have to... I doubt anyone's gonna be insulted so long as you get your questions point across and not gripe and whine.

So the staff sucks because they react on rule violations? Right...

The rules are not there for you to see if you bother following them today. They're there because you are required to follow them. If you cannot accept that you weren't allowed to use this website in the first place.

And you're tired of staff deleting your topics? I just looked over your entire post history. You've only ever had one topic deleted unless you have multiple accounts (which is also a rule violation). While looking over your history, I also noticed this in one of your topics:

I don't care if this is in the wrong section, all the other sections are in-active. And this is the only booming section.

I read this as "I don't give a shit about your rules. I'll just do whatever I want."

Basically, the problem seems to be with you and not our staff. I don't mind if you leave. I'd rather only have members who don't think they're the center of the world and can do whatever they want.

"I was speeding and this cop gave me a ticket. The police totally sucks."

If as the OP said, it's simply an issue of not having an edit button then why not just address that rather than going off on some staff-are-volunteers-you-agreed-to-the-rules replies? The replies to this thread appear to fall under the categories of:

1. Do something which is generally frowned upon in web forum etiquette. (double-post)

2. Staff are volunteers. (so?)

3. Piss off.

Forgive me for stepping on anyone's toes but it appears (to a visitor, not in-the-know, entirely based on this thread) the general sentiment in this case is you're an idiot, go away. Nice.  Maybe it's because I'm still fairly new here myself so haven't really fallen into the clique (may be seeing things too plainly) yet but that sentiment seems non-conducive to a fruitful and healthy staff-visitor relationship.  Are the sort of responses posted in this thread common responses to any user with a gripe?

It's not simply an issue of not having an edit button. If he wanted to add additional information, he could do this in his original thread, there's no rule agains that (well, 17. maybe, but he was going to provide additional information so I don't think anyone would care).

The issue here is attacking staff for doing their 'damn' job (for which they're not paid, as stated before). It's quite easy to get emotional in such situation. I'm sure you personally do not really feel calm, when someone says 'PHP manual is crappy, whoever is working on it is a bunch of idiots' (it's just an example, my opinion on PHP manual is quite to contrary).

I usually try to ignore such people, but not everyone is Zen master like me :D

The edit button "disappears" after 10 minutes because we've had problems with people replacing their original post with something like "solved". This ruins the search feature and makes it impossible for people to suggest alternate (better) solutions if they aren't fast enough. After that time frame has passed you can add additional information in a reply to the topic. Other problems were people addressing issues by going back editing posts instead of replying. This makes the topic really difficult to read.

I stand by what I said though: If he does not accept our terms of service, he is not allowed to use this website. That is non-debatable. He agreed to the ToS when he registered. Whether or not he actually read it is irrelevant. The repercussions for breaking it is the same regardless.

He even said he didn't care about our rules. In that case he is required to leave unless he changes his mind. It's not even a suggestion.

I'm tired of this poor lack of staff.

I have to disagree. This site and it's collective staff is the very and only reason I've been able to self school myself in php to a level where I can build CRM's proficiently or develop themes for Wordpress and SMF.

they just fucking go "yipp-e-d-do".

I've got to give to you credit for how funny this is. I haven't laughed so loudly in quite some time.

Are the sort of responses posted in this thread common responses to any user with a gripe?

Perhaps if he had chosen a more diplomatic instead of offensive route he would have received nicer responses.

Compare it to saying "I think you suck and is an idiot" to your boss versus "I think X and Y are wrong, could we work on resolving it?" I bet your boss would tell you that you can just leave if you chose the former, or maybe even just plain fire you for insubordination.

The issue here is attacking staff for doing their 'damn' job (for which they're not paid, as stated before). It's quite easy to get emotional in such situation. I'm sure you personally do not really feel calm, when someone says 'PHP manual is crappy, whoever is working on it is a bunch of idiots' (it's just an example, my opinion on PHP manual is quite to contrary).

I am not clear how the OPs posts in this thread could be considered as "attacking staff" though perhaps that refers to some other incident between him and staff that I'm not privy to: the ramblings of a disgruntled member sure, but hardly an attack.  Maybe my own experience with managing members of a forum (and managing staff behaviour) has had an effect on how I would react to situations like those presented in this thread, it's a possibility. However, when someone has an issue (however politely or crudely it is put across) with something, I listen and take the time to respond thoughtfully rather than jump in with the first response (which I agree might often be to defend oneself) that comes to mind. If someone were to say, "[the] PHP manual is crappy, whoever is working on it is a bunch of idiots" then I certainly wouldn't feel any need to tell them to stop using the manual.  The manual does have a lot of work still to be done (and always will), the point is very valid and I'm sure the volunteers working on it would let the idiot remark roll off of them like water off a duck's back. In all seriousness a quick rant is nothing to get all concerned about.  After all, we all volunteered to improve the manual in the first place, so we must be aware there are "crappy" parts that need to be completed and/or fixed!

Perhaps if he had chosen a more diplomatic instead of offensive route he would have received nicer responses.

Sure, it would be nice if everyone took a more diplomatic stance when airing their grievances but just because a viewpoint is put across crudely doesn't make it any less valid, does it? I believe there's no one right answer to that. 

In the end, it seems that the OPs issue is simply that staff didn't contact him about deleting a thread (threads?). Not such a big issue and hardly a big change to policy to ask staff to inform members of why their threads were deleted (whether in an automated manner, via PM or whatever), if that isn't generally done already.  One must simply be prepared that some members will on occasion feel the urge to take issue with staff actions and post publicly about it due to the lack of any more private dialog beforehand.  How the staff reacts publicly to such an outburst will say infinitely more to the community at large than any private discussions between staff and members.

P.S. Sorry Justin L H for perhaps taking your thread off on a tangent. Perhaps my posts should be wrapped in [ot] tags.

F the general sentiment in this case is you're an idiot, go away. Nice.

No, if you're an idiot, we'll still try to help, though we'll probably laugh at you and/or bang our heads against the wall in frustration, behind your back.  The correct phrase here would be: "You're an asshole, go away."

And it is nice not to have to cater to assholes.  That's one of the benefits of being a community made up of volunteers who are here to fuck around and help out when they can, but mostly fuck around.  This isn't a business, and we don't have a vested interest in some "The customer is always right" mantra. 

The correct phrase here would be: "You're an asshole, go away."

I'm all for giving assholes a hard time (read into that what you will) and it certainly wasn't my intention to suggest that the staff here should put up with any abuse from said assholes. My main point was simply that someone had a genuine issue with something the staff did and the overwhelming response was "you're an asshole, go away". If that's not anything of concern to you guys, fair enough.

I'm getting a clearer picture of the way things are done around here as time goes by, both for participating in the community and for seeing how the place is looked after by the staff (and concerned citizens).  I'm sure the system works, and works well, for this site but the persistent air of superiority around many staff members' posts doesn't make me feel comfortable at all, clashing with the otherwise great community feel.  It may mostly just be banter within the clique put across in a public format, I don't know.  Then again, who gives a crap about what I think. :shy:

I dunno... perhaps sometimes this air of superiority is not really intended (sometimes it is for sure ;) ). There are days when I fell I should put a special disclaimer in my signature, like 'I've been watching House MD for 8 hours today, so if I call you a moron, that's because you are one!'... or something like that ;P

He knowingly and willingly disregarded the rules (how do we know? because he was kind enough to say so in one of his posts).  We simply enforced them.  He decided to call us shity for it, and make out like it was some common occurrence with him, when in fact, there's only 1 thread of his that got deleted.  He even told one of the staff alumni to get out of his thread for no apparent reason.  Clearly he is not being respectful to the community rules, or to us.  We looked at his posts, including the ones in this thread, and judged him to be an asshole.  While we seem to share the same philosophy about dealing with assholes, apparently you don't interpret his actions in the same way, and that's fine. 

And I understand the apparent "air of superiority" around here.  But the reality is that most of us are "superior" in the sense that we are more knowledgeable, etc...  This is a help board.  People come here for help.  People ask for help when they don't know.  Does that mean it's okay to act superior?  Well that depends on who you ask.  I personally would say no, but I would also point out that if you want to be waited on hand and foot, catered to, ego-stroked, etc.. go to a pay-for-service site. 

And there is a lot of "inside jokes" going on, and it is indeed real easy to take things out of context when you haven't been around for very long.  This site is more than a question:answer site.

I also think a lot of people have a tendency of thinking we think ourselves superior when we don't treat them as if they are somehow unique, special, first one to ask a question, somehow important that we should have to drop what we are doing and make them #1 priority, etc... in other words, people have a habit of claiming we are acting superior, when in fact, it is just us not treating them as if they are. 

We do not condone "You stupid noob, this what's wrong/you should be doing, etc..." posts.  But we do not take kindly to people who come here and are lazy about shit.  We do not expect people to be masters of programming, but we expect a certain level of common sense and willingness and effort.  If someone makes a post asking (or demanding) help, and they don't bother to make an effort to post details, explain their situation correctly, etc...  then they are not going to get a positive response.  This isn't "noobness," this is laziness and lack of effort on their end. 

What also bothers me is that some people think they can do stuff here that they wouldn't otherwise get away with just because it's on the Internet. Examples:

"Urgent!! Help me now. NEED HELP ASAP" - When waiting in the line in the supermarket, would you start shouting and demand that you should move up front in the queue?

"I'm special, so I don't have to follow the rules" OR "I don't bother reading the rules, so I don't have to follow them." - Did you read your country's laws. Do you expect to be exempt because you didn't?

"If you don't do as I say I'll sue you/kill you/DDoS you/hack you/etc." - No you're not, now GTFO. The extremity of the "I'll X you" seems to be inversely proportional to the age of the threathening member as well.

"I'll leave this forum if I don't get it my way." - For most people, this threat is entirely without value. He is not paying us any money, and he is probably not contributing to (but only taking from) community, so we lose nothing. We lose something by having people who think they can do whatever they want. This effectively makes it a win if said person leaves.

"The staff is abusing their powers when they moderate my clearly rule violating behavior."

The list goes on and on.

If you want the rules changed because you think they're unreasonable, make a topic in this board with proper arguments (not just that you think they suck). If you really think that a moderator's action was unfair, the rules page clearly states how you should appeal it. Starting to attack staff members is unlikely to gain you any sympathy and getting the actions reverted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.