Which version of MySQL for PHP 5.2.13?

apachelion

Hey!

I have a local server setup on Windows Vista, and I have manually installed the latest versions of Apache and MySQL. I am using Drupal, and, unfortunately, I can't upgrade to PHP 5.3 because of some modules lagging in development.

My question is, Can I still use the latest version of MySQL (5.1.45) with the older PHP connector v5.0.51a or should I downgrade my MySQL installation for compatibility? I haven't encountered any problems as of yet except the nagging phpMyAdmin warning "Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.45. This may cause unpredictable behavior."

I did a bit of research on this topic, and it seems like there is no way around the outdated php_mysql.dll except for downgrading. Is that necessary, or can I just ignore the message? I am not an advanced user, so I am just wondering whether there is going to be a big difference in what version of MySQL I have.

P.S. Which version of MySQL would you recommend I run on my web host, given I have to use PHP 5.2.x?

Thank you!

libmysql.dll is the client library that the version warning message is referring to, not the php_mysql.dll.

The only unpredictable behavior of using a close but older version of the client library is that you cannot use features added in the latest version of the mysql server.

Your mysql 'bin' folder should contain a libmysql.dll file that you can use.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.