Converting from Postgres to MySQL PHP question

in_titusville

I've been using Postgres and PHP for years but now need to build a package using MySQL and PHP

I need to know if there is a PHP function for MySQL that replaces the postgres function "pg_Result"

Example:

$id = pg_Result($results,0,"id");

What if any is a replacement for this.?

Did you even look?

SORRY... :wtf:

I'm just looking for a little help... Wasn't like to get my @$$ chewed out...

Not sure "EXACTLY" what you mean by "Did you even look?", but YES, I did search the site and couldn't find anything on this...

Thanks for the nice welcome to this site... :wtf:

Besides, I don't see how that qualified as $*!-chewing.

Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

Sounds like @$$ chewing to me...

Again... Thanks for the NICE welcome to this web site... I searched Google, Yahoo and this site and couldn't find anything... I was ONLY looking for a little help... SORRY....

Really? You think making everyone read the rules constitutes harassment?  That's like complaining that having to know the speed limit is harassment.

[Aside: see section 1(ii) of the forum guidelines in the ToS -- not searching that manual counts.]

Incidentally, telling you how to find the answer is just as good, if not better, than the answer itself, so it's not like you didn't get the help you needed -- just perhaps not the help you expected.

But don't apologize to me -- this isn't a Q&A forum, it's a community.  Which means that everyone has to play by the rules.  If you don't want to, or aren't interested in hearing that there are rules, that's your problem, not mine, and not the community's.

Incidentally, I didn't say RTFM -- I just asked an innocent question to gauge how much you had investigated prior to posting.  If you want to be defensive, fine.  But if you take the time to read my 13K+ posts, you'll find that I'm one of the least offensive veteran members here.  Of course, that's only if you decide to stay -- which you should, since this is quite the active PHP community.

Really? You think making everyone read the rules constitutes harassment?  That's like complaining that having to know the speed limit is harassment.

Incidentally, telling you how to find the answer is just as good, if not better, than the answer itself, so it's not like you didn't get the help you needed -- just perhaps not the help you expected.

But don't apologize to me -- this isn't a Q&A forum, it's a community.  Which means that everyone has to play by the rules.  If you don't want to, or aren't interested in hearing that there are rules, that's your problem, not mine, and not the community's.

Incidentally, I didn't say RTFM -- I just asked an innocent question to gauge how much you had investigated prior to posting.  If you want to be defensive, fine.  But if you take the time to read my 13K+ posts, you'll find that I'm one of the least offensive veteran members here.  Of course, that's only if you decide to stay -- which you should, since this is quite the active PHP community.

I REALLY don't know what your problem is... I asked a simple question and could have had a simple answer but you jumped on me over it... It DIDN'T require the statement "Did you even look?"... I did looked everywhere I could think of for some sort of conversion for the postgres "pg_Result" to it's MySQL replacement... SORRY I couldn't find it... SORRY I had to post on this site and offended you... OK, maybe you have 13K+ post but post like the reply to my question are just a waste of computer bits... If this is a "good old boys club" and I don't fit in to the "click" I won't EVER use this site again... AGAIN... SORRY for asking a question here...

If you can't see the value of my clarification, then I won't waste those precious "computer bits".  But like I said, your loss, not ours.

Sigh... I really don't see why people in general are so easily offended online compared to real-life -- not everyone's out to get you.

EDIT: incidentally, the name-calling in a PM is really mature.  For the record, a "jerk" is a "dull stupid fatuous person", and I am none of those three things, so you're way off-base.

If you really have an issue with me, then feel free to complain to the rest of the staff -- you'll see that the general consensus is that you're simply over-reacting.  Hey, it happens.

If you can't see the value of my clarification, then I won't waste those precious "computer bits".  But like I said, your loss, not ours.

Sigh... I really don't see why people in general are so easily offended online compared to real-life -- not everyone's out to get you.

EDIT: incidentally, the name-calling in a PM is really mature.  For the record, a "jerk" is a "dull stupid fatuous person", and I am none of those three things, so you're way off-base.

If you really have an issue with me, then feel free to complain to the rest of the staff -- you'll see that the general consensus is that you're simply over-reacting.  Hey, it happens.

Your waste of "computer bits" was your first reply "Did you even look?"...

If you claim to have 13K+ post and they are all like that post then they are a waste of "computer bits"... Rather than make a dumb @$$ remark like that, you should just not post anything... That comment was absolutly NO help to my question and no help to anyone else... It was a total waste of "computer bits"... As a so called "Moderator" you should know better... You have NO right being a "Moderator" on a web site if you leave dumb @$$ comment everytime someone has a question...

First, I don't "claim" to have 13K+ posts -- I actually do.  And the only reason I brought this up was to give you a chance to recognize that you weren't being singled out, not to assert my membership in what you perceive as a "good old boys club".

Second, they all aren't like that post -- which you'd know if you'd actually bothered to check -- because not everyone is walking on eggshells around here like you appear to be.

Third, asking if you'd followed the forum guidelines is not a dumb-@$$ remark -- it's a legitimate question, whether you think so or not.  Again, I didn't say RTFM, which would have been wholly inappropriate.

Fourth, as a Moderator, it's actually my job to ensure that these guidelines are followed -- so I couldn't "not post anything" as you suggest -- and I even provided a link (which has been in my sig for years, BTW) to let you (and everyone else) know where to look to review them in case you'd inadvertently overlooked them.

Fifth, since the answer was easily obtained from the PHP manual, my response was a direct indication of how to obtain the knowledge you were seeking -- so I disagree that it was of "no help to anyone else".  On the contrary -- now everyone knows where to look -- including you.

Lastly, you already said you weren't going to visit this site anymore, which clearly wasn't truthful.  But if you truly feel the need to get in the last word, go right ahead -- I won't lock this thread to prevent you from responding, but I won't respond to any more of this banter, either.  And I am a man of my word, so you needn't worry.

Just remember, if you hold up your end of the bargain, your final post will the only thing that future members will ever associate with your short-lived presence on PHPFreaks -- so consider your words carefully.  Unless, of course, you decide to contribute in a positive manner to this community in the future.  The ball's in your court -- the floor is all yours.

Unless, of course, you decide to contribute in a positive manner to this community in the future.  The ball's in your court -- the floor is all yours.

:wtf:I MUST contribute in a positive manner but you have the right to put people down (user bashing)... I thought I was contributing... I thought I was going to a place that could help me with a question I had... Instead I came to a site where the "Moderator" jumps all over you if you don't know the answer to your own question...

This would have been SO much faster and easier if I just received an answer to the question in my post rather than all this BS you have been giving me. You are a NASTY person and don't need nasty comments to people that are just looking for a little HELP...

If this site is about the "Moderator" giving BS replies to every comment posted just to add to his 13K+ post then it's just a waste of "computer bits"...

I would hope if I ever need to use this site in the future for a problem I'm having that the question would be answered and the BS left out. This could be a REALLY great site, if you weren't on it....

Hello in_titusville,

You can sit here and kick and scream like you are somehow being disrespected, injusticed, whatever the hell you wanna call it, but the truth is, you are the one doing the disrespecting.  You devalue us, by expecting us to cater to trivial, common questions.  You are the one that needs help. You are offering absolutely nothing in return for that help.  And worse, you are bitching about the help you received. 

I don't recall you paying for your question to be answered.  This is a free resource provided by people willing to donate their time and expertise to other people.  Because we provide this with no benefit to ourselves, we can expect a certain level of respect and effort from people we choose to help. We are helping you, not because we somehow owe it to you, but because we want to, by our own volition.

Even if fenway was being a jackass (which he wasn't), so the fuck what?  Since when did he owe you anything? Even if he didn't provide actual help alongside his scolding (which he did), you still have no right to complain. 

You asked a question.  A dumb question, because it is well documented and easily answered, with minimal search effort.  And then you get all pissed off because you expect an answer, when you have no right to expect anything when you don't offer anything in return.  If you want service with a smile, customer is always right and all that b.s., then get off your lazy cheap ass and hire someone.  Otherwise, you'll take what you can get and you will do it with a smile, even if it's served with the tongue lashing you rightfully deserved. 

"WTF asshole, I asked for my burger with no mayo! Seriously, this place would be awesome if it weren't for the fact they always fuck my shit up.  Don't make me go to the McJerkOffs down the street!" That is you right there.  Except you're a fucking bum.  A starving bum wandering in from the street, asking for a free meal and then complaining about the food donated to him. 

This site is great because we don't cater to people like you.