Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I voted for good old Dreamweaver!

I have used Zend Studio before (the free 30 day beta for the new Zend Studio) and I quite enjoyed it, but I bought Macromedia Studio MX 2004. So I wasn't going to fork on purchasing another editor lol!

Dreamweavers my pal! I do everythink in Dreamweaver.

SA, you should try ZDE(Zend Development Environment).

216289[/snapback]

I've just put the eval of ZDE on download, I'l give it a go. Hopefully I don't like it as much as, or more than, DWMX04 - That cost enough as it is!

did u ever use Maguma Workbench?

i think u guys should give it a shot.

it has excellent features like ClassBrowser, FileManager,RemoteBrowser (supporting both FTP and SFTP),FunctionList(list of PHP functions and user defined function),CVSManager,Workspace (for project),Snippets,XDebug etc. u can use ClassWizard, HTML Tidy,AutoCompletion within this product for fast scripting.

the product is very much stable,easy to use ..... excellent drag and drop features for both text and file has been incorporated within this product.

u can visit the community and forum of the site Maguma

I like using Komodo personal edition ($30 USD) for pretty much the same reasons briandude wrote about for Maguma. I tried Maguma and found it buggy; I couldn't get their debugger to work, and just found it overall clumsy. I can't remember what version I tried.

Actually, I tried lots of the free ones and the only one where the debugger worked for me was the one incorporated in Komodo.

Zend Studio have just introduced version 4 that might be worth having a look at. I didn't like their earlier versions.

Other post related to editors:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=193029

The PHP Designer 2005 is a free one that I haven't tried but some members are and they seem to like it.

I couldn't get the Eclipse to install and work, but I had talked to someone who uses it and is happy. However, I determined that the debugger he was using with Eclipse was interfering with the use of custom session handlers (during debugging).

FYI: In case anyone is interested in PHP encoders:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=208609

I like using Komodo personal edition ($30 USD) for pretty much the same reasons briandude wrote about for Maguma. I tried Maguma and found it buggy; I couldn't get their debugger to work, and just found it overall clumsy. I can't remember what version I tried.

Komodo is pretty sluggish man, workbench is far better. The debugger works fine.

Komodo is pretty sluggish man, workbench is far better. The debugger works fine.

217303[/snapback]

It's really a matter of opinion. I have version 3.1.0 and I don't think it's sluggish. It's what ever the individual person likes. I always recommend to people that you try and use the product on a trial basis before you buy it. Use whatever appeals to you.

toplay, u should give the ZDE 4.0 a try, it has been greatly improved.

Actually, I tried lots of the free ones and the only one where the debugger worked for me was the one incorporated in Komodo.

Zend Studio have just introduced version 4 that might be worth having a look at. I didn't like their earlier versions.

Other post related to editors:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=193029

The PHP Designer 2005 is a free one that I haven't tried but some members are and they seem to like it.

I couldn't get the Eclipse to install and work, but I had talked to someone who uses it and is happy. However, I determined that the debugger he was using with Eclipse was interfering with the use of custom session handlers (during debugging).

FYI: In case anyone is interested in PHP encoders:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=208609

217247[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...

New to the site. Looks nice.

Judging from the posts I've read, it seems most people in here are working in a Windoze env. :( Though I do work with Windows on the job, I primarily use Linux and need an IDE that can function in all places.

I'm looking for an IDE for PHP. Previously I was using JBuilder for Java, and I'd like a PHP editor that has features along those same lines. Primary features of JBuilder that I love are: debugger, symbol/function definition lookups, CVS integration, (Java)Doc integration, full language documentation integration, and the list goes on.

If I exclude Winblows-only apps and apps that aren't much more than simple editors (eg jedit), The list gets short very quickly.

I'm currently down to: Komodo, Zend Studio, Eclipse w/php plugin, ???

Zend seems to be designing their IDE with JBuilder in mind. It's not at all as feature rich, but it's very similar. But from the little that I've played with it, it doesn't seem nearly as mature as JBuilder (not sure how long each of them have been around).

Are there any more contenders for my list?

JBuilder taught me that a great IDE can be invaluable and save lots of time. So as I get back into PHP, I want to take advantage of whatever tools are available to me.

Judging from the posts I've read, it seems most people in here are working in a Windoze env. :( Though I do work with Windows on the job, I primarily use Linux and need an IDE that can function in all places.

226479[/snapback]

Maguma provides an excellent IDE for working in both LINUX and Windows. It's Maguma Workbench version 2.2.1. You can download the trial version from www.maguma.com.I hope you will like it.

• 2 weeks later...

226479[/snapback]

Have you given Quanta Plus a try? Its not specifically for PHP but it does a good job... of course theres always gvim.

On the windows side, I use PHPEdit. I used to use Maguma, but it was too buggy. I'll use Dreamweaver for layout and design or when I've got to do just a little bit of coding. But I really don't like to do much coding from DW.

I'm d/ling PHP Designer right now. See how that goes.

Art

Hi,

Ive been using Macromedia Homesite+ for my editing, mostly because i already had it and it had good ftp support and stuff. But it actually isnt built for php so it doesnt give all the nice colours

Nick

Also whats wrong with notepad? i use it sometimes lol.

232005[/snapback]

It doesn't have syntax highlighting :/

Have you given Quanta Plus a try? Its not specifically for PHP but it does a good job...

231370[/snapback]

I'm installing it as we speak...er post :)

Am I the only one using Crimson Editor??

It does nice colour syntaxing and works with other languages too. Though I guess if any of those above programs would show me my code in action without having to have php installed on my windows box, and could debug it that be cool. Kinda like the VB.NET suite that I use at work.

*shrug*

So what recomendations are there for straight php editors?? (prefereablly freeware cause I have very little money)