[SOLVED] Forms Text Box help

Crew-Portal

is it possible to display text with an edit button below, and when the button is clicked the text gets surrounded by a text box and able to be edited and the edit button turns into a save button. And when the save button is clicked it inserts the data into mySQL? And here is the catch... To be able to do so only using one .php page? if someone could show me how to do so I would be really happy and appreative!

I think you're going to have to do it with JS/ajax, if you wanted something with little/no refreshing.

otherwise, you can do something like:

<a href="viewtopic.php?action=edit&id=12345">edit me!</a>

<?php 
$action = $_GET['action'];
// clean var

switch($action) {
case 'edit':
//show page with text box and values, and save button
break;
case 'save':
//get vars from $_POST (or $_GET) and save them to the db
break;
}
?>

Just a rough outline

funny... im writing a script library that automates this process...

anyway, the basic idea is that your 'edit' button has the id 'actionbutton', and a javascript function that swaps the contents of a block of text for the text area.  the process is quite simple... given the following txt block.

<form id="actionform">
<div id="body">  ...content...   </div>
<input type="button" onmouseup="cvert('body')" id="actionbutton" />
</form>

for the javascript...

function cvert(e) {
  box = document.getElementById(e);
  ab = document.getElementById("actionbutton");

box.innerHTML = '<textarea name="body_content">' + box.innerHTML + '</textarea>';
  ab.onmouseup = 'document.getElementById("actionForm").submit()';
}

of course, thats just the rough way to do it, ESPECIALLY if your code is post-formatted.  if that is the case, then you will have to go through a ton of AJAX stuff that i am too lazy to post.  this should give  you a basic idea though.

(you may want to change "cvert" to something more readable)

Thank you that helps alot but Can you change the Form Function using javascript. And the action of the text box so Upon clicking edit it changes the function to a PHP script that edits information on a mysql database and changing the Edit button to saying something like Save?

Sorry I dont know that much about JavaScript!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.