Google Ads - October 1st, 2006

Just letting everyone know that you will start seeing Google Advertisements on this site from now on. They appear in the first post of every topic on each page of that topic. They will also start appearing shortly in the main site as well as soon as we write the code for it.

They are not very intrusive, so I really don't want to hear complaints about it. This is a necessity for our site to continue its operation. The Kontera ads are now gone from the main site as well.

Regards,

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=110155.msg444808#msg444808 date=1159724088]
Added an acception to Adblock to preventy it from removing adds from phpfreaks.com

Didnt notice the ads where added until I saw this thread. I will click on the adds a every so often that intrest me. I wont go OTT of course. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks, our contract is per impressions, not per click. So thanks for unblocking them :)

[quote author=phpfreak link=topic=110155.msg444884#msg444884 date=1159737938]

Thanks, our contract is per impressions, not per click. So thanks for unblocking them :)

[/quote]

Can you explain what makes an impression different than a click? I haven't any experience with hosting Google Ads.

I think that it is a good idea. I have no experience with the Google adds so I have a few questions.

Can you filter the content of the adds or is that all Google. The reason that I am asking is that on this page I see an add for RackSpace.. I think that it would be more appropriate for Serverpowered to be promoted...

Thanks,
Tom

In order for that to happen, phpfreak would have to pay Google every time someone clicked an ad for ServerPowered... and that wouldn't make much sense, now would it? :)

To answer your question a bit more completely: The only ads that are going to show up in the Google Ads are for companies that are paying Google for the ad service, so yes, it is all on Google's side.

What about a border around them?

Do you get more money per impression than on a click? Or do clicks still pay more....?  I haven't seen many ads with google or any other company that would interest me but I will keep an eye out for them to help out.

[quote author=ober link=topic=110155.msg445295#msg445295 date=1159802881]
How about we just go along with it and not come up with ideas to skirt around it, eh?
[/quote]

I just asked if it was against the TOS. I never suggested that you should do it.

Prehaps have the adds display between the first and the secound post of each thread? Rather than have them display in the first thread. Also change the dimensions of the ads so they display horzontally (Use leaderboard (728 x 90)) rather than being a big box. If you do decided to do that.

I have managed to add a [i]hack[/i] to the threads template (Dispaly.template.php) so it does this. You can probably edit my hack so it adds the ads every x amount of posts, such as every 4 posts in the thread.

just a note: i've noticed that the google ads get covered over when there is a code block appearing within the space that the ads take up. not sure of the best solution, but i will be pleased when they are moved up above the actual posts rather than within the first post itself.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=110155.msg445337#msg445337 date=1159804920]
just a note: i've noticed that the google ads get covered over when there is a code block appearing within the space that the ads take up. not sure of the best solution, but i will be pleased when they are moved up above the actual posts rather than within the first post itself.
[/quote]

I think wildteen's solution would be the best one.

I see you placed some ads another place too:
[URL=http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phpfreaksgoogleadsnk1.png][IMG]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4200/phpfreaksgoogleadsnk1.th.png[/img][/URL]

The place the new one is placed is quite annoying, could be possible be moved somewhere else? Or at least centered?
It only happens in the AJAX forum, so is it a bug?

Alright... look... obviously the ads are a little annoying.  But go to any other major site out there.  By comparison, these are rather unobtrusive.  I don't plan on changing them or modifying their current implementation at all.

I've had enough of the bitching and complaining.  Thread closed!