[SOLVED] WAMP: Changing root password & MySQL library versions

I've finally gone ahead and done it - installed WAMP so I can write code offline.

When I fire up phpMyAdmin I get these two messages.

First is in red:

Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole by setting a password for user '.root'.

If I go into the database for "mysql" (23 tables) and visit users I see two records (localhost and 127.0.0.1) and both have a root field with blank passwords - can I change these directly here?

This one is in yellow:

Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.32. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

Any idea how I can sort these please?

"If I go into the database for "mysql" (23 tables) and visit users I see two records (localhost and 127.0.0.1) and both have a root field with blank passwords - can I change these directly here?"

No.  (Well, I guess technically you could if you were carefully and used PASSWORD()...  But I don't know exactly how that works.)

By the way, how hard is it to google "MySQL change password"?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/set-password.html

Second question:

libmysql.dll is the wrong version.  You could copy the one from  your MySQL install (if there is one), you can find one, or you can hope for the best ;p.

Thanks corbin - I did try Google and did try one method by using the MySQL console but as soon as I changed it, I was locked out from phpMyAdmin. Luckly I still had the console open and was able to clear it.

The method in the link you provided is slightly different from the way I used but I'll give it a go - thanks again!

btw, changing the password via phpMyAdmin:

1. Select the account to edit (eg. localhost)

2. In the password field select the function drop-down to be "PASSWORD" then type in the new password into the value and click "OK"

You can manually set MD5 and SHA1 passwords via phpMyAdmin this way as well. I was using a script for the past few years to do this until my boss showed me a couple weeks ago :)

As for the libmysql.dll file, I'll see if I can find it :)

I still can't change the password without being locked out even if I restart the services. The password change only seems to apply for the console and gets ignored by my browser.

When you change the mysql root password you need to configure phpMyAdmin to use this new password. You do this by editing the config.inc.php file which is located in C:/wamp/apps/phpmyadmin3.x.x

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.