Secure mailer on an other server

DavidT

Hi there!

I have two different hosting services: on the first one I can regularly use the function mail(), but the second does not allow me to send mails (it will block the account for mass mailing).

I need to use mail to notify things to user who requested it, so I need to be able to send mail from this second server too.

I thought that I will create a mailer script on the firs server, so that the second will simply call the script when needed, passing the e-mail addresses, the subject and content trough POST.

Now, how to avoid that some malicious user uses my script to send own mails?

I thought that I can send with the POST two vars, "time" and "secure_code" (I will eventually fake the names, so that is not so easy to recognize), where "time" is get by time(), and "secure_code" is a function depending on the value of "time".

The mailer script gets the both values, and use the same function to verify if the "secure_code" is correct, according to time.

Question is, is this safe? What kind of function shall I use?

Also, how could I avoid that a malicious user simply same the "time" and "secure_code" in a certain moment, and use it again?

Thanks in advance.

I would put the stuff I wanted to mail into a file and zip it up. I would then pass it off to a script that would FTP it to the mail server. The mail server would have a script cron jobbed that would check the upload folder every minute if it found a file it would move it to a working folder and fork a script to uppack,process the file and mail the contents. Fairly easy to do and no outside files for a hacker to abuse. If you are really uptight about security have a cron jobbed script create a file and then give the scripts the same user/group and knock the perms down to 770.  If somebody breaks in that far youre already toast anyways.

HTH

Teamatomic

• 6 months later...

Ok, after a little pause I'm starting finally to making this script.

Couple of further questions: is there any way to create a file "on the fly"?

I mean, instead of doing this:

$handle = fopen("file_to_upload","w");
$write = fwrite($handle,"This is the mail data which will be sent to the other server ");

$upload = ftp_put($ftp_connection, "mailer_folder", "file_to_upload" );

to solve somehow so that it does need to create the file, and just doing something like

$upload = ftp_put($ftp_connection, "mailer_folder", DATA );

The other question is: is there some reason why you told me to zip the file containing mail data? Maybe security reasons? Wouldn't it work same way if is just a plain file?

Thanks in advance

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.