Different php meta tags for each page

bgbs

my header file contains the <head>  but I would like to have different meta tags displayed depending on the page being displayed.  I know you could insert <head> into each file and be done with it, but that may drive me nuts as the site grows.  So I'm trying to see how I can do it differently

So far I can do this with php

<?php

$meta_title="Site title goes here";

$meta_heading="Site heading info goes here";

$meta_desc="Site Description goes here";

$meta_keys="Site, Key, Words, Go, Here";

?>

Then I can call that meta tag by inserting this in the pages

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $meta_desc ?>" />

I also have

$page=" unique page name"

inserted in each page.

I know this php meta script is incomplete, but what can I do to take it to the next level? Do I need to use and if statements, and how would I?

Thanks for all your help

-Ben

It depends where the values for the meta data will be comming from. If all your data is stored in a database then you could construct your meta tags based on the page you are accessing, again it all depends on where the meta data is comming from. Do you have a db table that might be able to construct the meta data?

I was thinking in the beginning to store values in the php file for now, and then upgrade to the database later.  I'm very new to php and I dont want to go over my head with this php construction.  I'm trying to take it one step at a time to master php capabilities.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.