Personality Quiz

texximan

Hey all!

I am new to these forums, but this seems like a really good place for information. I am a beginner in PHP coding, so I don't have that much experience with how to do quite simple tasks. I have a job to fulfill and I have to create a personality quiz, which basically means a user answers about eight questions with three choices and then he will be dubbed as one of six different personalities. I've tired doing this, believe me, but I just don't get it to work. Are there any websites, downloads, or words of advice you guys could give me? And no, I will not be using one of those quiz generators online; it should be made from raw code.

Thank you so much!

You should start by posting some code then we can go from there...

Basically you'll need your quiz form (in html), and then a php form handler.

To start with for you i'd say stick to one page.

Are you using a database or flatfile to store results, or just want to display them.

<html><body>

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
if($_POST['q1']=="blue"){print "correct<br />";}
else{print "wrong<br />";}
}
?>
<form method='POST' action=''>
What colour is my hair?<br />
<input type='text' name='q1' size='32' value='red'><br />
<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Submit'>
</form>
</body></html>

Yeah what he said. I already know the questions and all that, I just need to know how to make the quiz itself. And yeah, just to be clear: there are to be eight different questions in my quiz, and three different possible answers for each question (of which the user answers only one), and depending on all the different answers for the questions the user gave, he will be dubbed as one type of personality. I hope it makes sense. I know the logic behind I just need to know how to do it in pracitce.

this is what I base my personality quizzes on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Deep. How often do you make personality quizzes? I don't think he's after the logic though, sounds like that's already prepared he just needs to put it to code.

Ohh... Unfortunately, I don't have anything mapped out. Because I don't know how the code will work, I don't know how the different questions and answers will determine what personality the person will result to be. I am hoping that if I understand the code somewhat and know how it works, then I can figure out how it will logically work. Sorry for my n00bness.

Sorry by logic I mean, how do the answers to the 8 questions map against the 6 personalities?

So.. you don't have the logic all planned out? That's probably going to be the most crucial part of your application. By logic I don't mean PHP logic, I just mean general logic of the quiz; e.g. if the user answers 'a' to every question he's x personality.

<html><body>

<?php
if($_POST['q1']=="blue"){
	print "correct<br />";
}
else{
	print "wrong<br />";
}
}
?>
</form>
</body></html>

There's an example. A html form and php handling for it.

I did wonder if you'd be wanting to use radio style selection instead of text, but...

<html><body>

<?php
if($_POST['q1']=="blue"){
	print "correct<br />";
}
else{
	print "wrong<br />";
}
}
?>
</form>
</body></html>

There's an example. A html form and php handling for it.

I did wonder if you'd be wanting to use radio style selection instead of text, but...

No offence, but that's a bad way to do it.

For that actual quiz storage, you'll want to set up a table within the database to store the questions, with a unique question ID for each. Another table to store the answers (with a foreign key linking to the question ID), again with a unique ID for each.

Then depending upon whether you want to store the users' answers, you'll need a third table for the results (with 2 foreign keys linking to the question ID and answer ID). If not then you could temporarily store their answers within a session variable.

As I was getting at before though, the exact fields for the tables could vary depending upon the logic of the quiz.

• 4 months later...

Not been about for a while, so...

@MrAdam, I purposefully didn't use a database, and kept the whole thing simple and clear, because texximan states in a couple of places his current / then level of competency of coding. But yes, in the real world, my code would be very different too...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.