which is the root?

jeff5656

Having problems pointing to where files are.

Is this the root?:

include "../connectdb.php";

That file is locate din the root.  If I am already in the root when I include that statment, the file isn't found.  If I use the above code while I am in the subdirectory hello, (root/hello), it works.

I use this in every page, so I think I need a way to point to the absolute root, not relative.

Actually that doesn't work.  The $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] that I get back is not the actual location where my index file is.  I think this link explains why: http://www.helicron.net/php/

Perhaps my host is not using apache (since above only works in apache).

In any case, is there a way to solve this with relative paths?  I thought that if I was in a subdirectory and I want to point to another subdirectory I would point to

include "../anotherdirectory/filename.php";

but that doesn't work.

Obviously the best solutions would be some way to automatically determine the root directory (regardless of whether the host has apache).  Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.