use php/gd to cache an image

nobodyk

I run an image hosting site and it's using a lot of resources. I temporaly disabled the images by using this code:

<?php
$myImage = imagecreatefromjpeg('ua.jpg');
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
imagejpeg($myImage);
imagedestroy($myImage);
?>

I redirected all images to one, but he server still getting high loads. Is there a way to cache this image so it doesn't use many resources?

Using GD functions to just output an image is a waste of resources. If you are not manipulating the image, just output the correct content type header followed by the image file. See this function - readfile

The GD functions create and operate on a uncompressed bitmap image of your original file (jpg, gif, png... are compressed image formats) and require a large amount of memory.

What you are doing is the opposite of caching the image. Any browser will have to download that image every time whether the user has seen it before or not. You shouldn't have to do anything to have the end-user cache an image because it should be done automatically by his/her browser. As long as your images are output in img tags or in css, you can't really do anything else.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.