Two nearly identical pages two very different results

TheChaosFactor

Ok, so I have grabbed a free template and attempted to put a dynamic table into one of the div's.  I've got it to work on on my index.php, but I copied and pasted the entire code into member2.php and only changed the query and altered the table just a little bit  For some reason though my table doesn't show up on the member2.php even though 90% of the code is the same.

Here are the pages and codes...

http://www.royalfamilyhosting.com/test/index.php

<div id="layoutBodyContent">
        	<h1>Aces Guild Donations Page </h1>
            <h2>Are you on top of your game? WE are!</h2>

<?PHP

require_once('./mylib.php');
$rank = 1;
$olddate = strtotime(date("Y-m-d"));
$newdate;
$datecounter = 1;

//connects to db
dbconnect();

$query="SELECT name, date, SUM(amount) as total_money, SUM(bricks) as total_bricks FROM Aces_Donations GROUP BY Name ORDER BY total_money DESC, total_bricks DESC";
$result=mysql_query($query);

//Opens the table
echo "<table border = '3' width = 40% bgcolor=#A85045><caption><center>30 Day Rankings".'</center></caption>';

//Loop to run until eof

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){

//turns date into a comparable string
$newdate = strtotime($row['date']);

/*checks to see if date of new record matches date of previous record. If dates dont match the table is closed and a new table is opened for the new date. Rank is reset to reflect rankings for each specific date*/
if($newdate !== $olddate){
	$olddate = $newdate;
	$datetracker++;
	if($datetracker == 30){

echo "<center><tr><td alignment = 'center'>".$rank."</td>	<td alignment = 'center'>".$row['name']. "</td><td 	alignment = 'center'>". $row['total_money']."</td><td alignment= 'center'>".$row['total_bricks']."</tr></table></center>";
	break;
	}
}
echo "<center><tr><td alignment = 'center'>".$rank."</td>	<td alignment = 'center'>".$row['name']. "</td><td 	alignment = 'center'>". $row['total_money']."</td><td alignment= 'center'>".$row['total_bricks'].'</td></tr>';

echo '<br />';
$rank++;

}
echo '</table>';

?>

<br /><br /></p>
        </div>

http://www.royalfamilyhosting.com/test/member2.php?member=Zneve08

<div id="layoutBodyContent">
        	<h1>Aces Guild Donations Page </h1>
            <h2>Are you on top of your game? WE are!</h2>

<?PHP

require_once('./mylib.php');
$membername = $_GET['member'];
$rank = 1;
$olddate = strtotime(date("Y-m-d"));
$newdate;
$datecounter = 1;

//connects to db
dbconnect();

$query = sprintf("SELECT * FROM `Aces_Donations` WHERE `name` = '%s'",
$membername);

//sets the results to a variable
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

//opens table, sets width, color, border and headers

echo '<table bgcolor=#A85045 border = "3" width = 40%>';
echo "<tr><th alignment = 'center'>Member</th>
<th alignment = 'center'>Amount</th><th alignment = 'center'>Date</th></tr>";

echo "<center><tr><td alignment = 'center'>".$row['name']. "</td><td alignment = 'center'>". $row['amount']."</td><td alignment 	= 'center'>".$row['date']."</td></tr></center>";
var_dump ($row['name']);
var_dump ($row['amount']);
echo "<br />";
}
echo '</center></table>';

?>

<br /><br /></p>
        </div>

I'm dying here and would love even shot in the dark at this point.  The php code on member2.php works just fine when executed on its own page, so I don't really understand how this is happening.  I put the var_dump in there just to make sure the data was being retrieved from the database, but the table should be positioned where the var_dump displays on the page

It is echoing the data; it's present in the html source. This is an html validity issue. alignment is not a valid attribute, and you don't use <center> tags within the table structure like that. Try this.

echo "<table bgcolor=\"#A85045\" border=\"3\" width=\"40%\">\n<tr>\n<th align=\"center\">Member</th>\n
<th align=\"center\">Amount</th>\n<th align=\"center\">Date</th>\n</tr>\n";
echo "<tr>\n<td align=\"center\">{$row['name']}</td>\n<td align=\"center\">{$row['amount']}</td>\n<td align=\"center\">{$row['date']}</td>\n</tr>\n";
//var_dump ($row['name']);
//var_dump ($row['amount']);
}
echo "</table>";

Still got nothing on the page, but it's still showing up in the source code...

Also, if you go to just http:www.royalfamilyhosting.com/test/member2.php    and then add on "?member=Zneve08"  and and go to the same page with some info passed, you can see the div container get bigger, so it knows there's something in there.

I maybe should have mentioned that the other one is positioned with css like so:

table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {
font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
background:#262b38;
color:#fff;
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
position:relative;
bottom: xxxpx;
left:xxxpx;

}

I've tried adjusting the bottom and left values as well as removing those parameters and I still get no change at all...

Still got nothing on the page, but it's still showing up in the source code...

Also, if you go to just http:www.royalfamilyhosting.com/test/member2.php    and then add on "?member=Zneve08"  and and go to the same page with some info passed, you can see the div container get bigger, so it knows there's something in there.

I maybe should have mentioned that the other one is positioned with css like so:

table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {
font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
background:#262b38;
color:#fff;
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
position:relative;
bottom: xxxpx;
left:xxxpx;

}

I've tried adjusting the bottom and left values as well as removing those parameters and I still get no change at all...

try just changing the 'bottom:xxxpx;' to 'bottom:0px;' it worked for me (in Firefox, IE looks bad no matter which page). The reason it wasn't displaying is that 325px makes the table go outside of the div#layoutBodyContent element, which makes it disappear. Anyway, another thing I notices is that above the 'table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption' are

#tbldisplay table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

#tbldisplayall table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

#tbldisplay3 table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

The ', table,' in all of those parts are causing the table to be changed 4 times. So the bottom (and such) for the table is being set to 375 to 500 to 375 and finally to 325.

Also, I would would definitely do what Pikachu2000 said, alignment is not a valid attribute, etc. Fixing this would probably fix the ugly tables I see using IE on the pages.

try just changing the 'bottom:xxxpx;' to 'bottom:0px;' it worked for me (in Firefox, IE looks bad no matter which page). The reason it wasn't displaying is that 325px makes the table go outside of the div#layoutBodyContent element, which makes it disappear. Anyway, another thing I notices is that above the 'table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption' are

#tbldisplay table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

#tbldisplayall table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

#tbldisplay3 table a, table, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, table caption {...}

The ', table,' in all of those parts are causing the table to be changed 4 times. So the bottom (and such) for the table is being set to 375 to 500 to 375 and finally to 325.

Also, I would would definitely do what Pikachu2000 said, alignment is not a valid attribute, etc. Fixing this would probably fix the ugly tables I see using IE on the pages.

Ok, you nailed it.  Changing it to "bottom:0px;" did it for member2.php but it messed up my index.php because that 325px was what put the table where it should be on that page.  I can live with multiple stylesheets though.

Thank both you guys for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.