how do i point to an absolute root

jeff5656

Because I have include files in a subdirectory called "incl", I cannot rely on using relative paths because that include file is in a header on and the pages are in multiple subdirectories (or in the root).  I need some way to get the location of the root (the one where my index file is located).  I want to use something like this:

$path= $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];
include $path."/subdirectory/file.php";

However, when I use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] I get :

/home/content/j/p/f/name55/html/

which is not where the index file sits.

Any ideas on how to get the directory where my index file sits? (i.e. the index that gets read when you got to www.domain.com)

If your index.php is loaded first then all paths will be relative to the index.php file.

What do you mean by loaded?  Sometimes they will go to a page located in a different subdirectory (or even land there if they bookmarked that).  In that case, the included file will no longer be pointing to the root directory.

Of those out there that have include files in a separate subdirectory, how do you handle those files pointing to the correct location?

example: in the index.php you have:

include "links.php";

and in links.php you have:

<a href="/subdir/file.php">Click me</a>

So in index.php this will work, but lets say I am in a subdirectory off the root called ad and I have this file

example.php

include "links.php";</php]

This won't work becasue it will try to do: <a href="ad/subdir/file.php">Click me</a>

thats where the document_root comes...

lets suppose you have a file structure like this

[root]

=>index.php

[subdir]

=>file.php

[ad]

=>index.php

now in root you would just call include('subdir/file.php');

but in the ad index.php you would include($_SERVER['document_root']."/subdir/file.php");  or include('../subdir/file.php');  though the document_root method is more viable.

Well the problem is one of the included files in is a form with action ="logout.php"

So if I am in the index when I press logout it works, but if I am in a subdirectory it won't work.

How do I fix that?  In DOS (remember that OS?) I could just type action = c:\ad\logout.php andit would work no matter where I was.

How do I do the same thing here?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.