SELECT COUNT(*) GOOD IDEA?

Azaz

SELECT count(*) as total FROM forum_replies

My forum_replies has over 30,000 rows... how would mysql handle this on a forum on the main index, is there a better/simplified way ?

I just need to grab posts not *... ?

Not really. MySQL is coded to recognise SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tableName query and return stored rowcount. I'm not sure if this optimisation holds if you substitute * with actual field. Even if it does, there'd be no difference.

Also notice that this optimisation will only be in effect, when there's no WHERE clause in the query (i.e. you want to count all rows in the table)

Not really. MySQL is coded to recognise SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tableName query and return stored rowcount. I'm not sure if this optimisation holds if you substitute * with actual field. Even if it does, there'd be no difference.

Also notice that this optimisation will only be in effect, when there's no WHERE clause in the query (i.e. you want to count all rows in the table)

Sweet, Solved.

Gotta love people like you here, I hope to hear from you in the future,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.