Graphic or programming redesign. Which first?

Gutspiller

I am at a crossroads. I want to have our website both redesigned graphically as well as need the backend code recoded, retooled, updated, tweaked, etc.

I am not a programmer, but I can make decent graphics myself. However, with that said, the graphical redesign I want to give my site, would still involve coding to move objects around, something of which I am not capable of. The decision I face is which to do first?

Do I do a graphical redesign first, so that the graphics and layout are already there so that when I want my programmer to add features, they are adding them where they are going to stay.

Or do I do a code redesign, tweak where I am adding new features to existing code, and have code that is old rewritten for better function, but put it in spots that may not look as good or as pleasing to the eye, until the graphical design comes?

Which is better as far as user experience?

Which is going to be cheaper and more cost effective?

On the one hand, if I do a graphical redesign first, then things should be in place for where I want new features to end up, and the site looks good, even if it lacks features and may feature open spots where somethings aren't appearing, simply because they haven't been coded yet. Also, I can tell the programmer right where I want the feature they're coding to appear, and once it's inserted, it's where it's going to stay.

On the other hand, if I have the coding done first, then as the features are coded, I can have them put in approximate places where I want them, and the features will be coded, but may need to be moved later on to make it more appealing, or be made more visible by being moved. BUT, if the features are already coded, I will know what types of pages I need to have designed, and what all I need to have pages for.

Is it cheaper to have a programmer come back and move the code around, or to have a design moved around so that the feature is where I want it to be?

I know more/better features will bring more visitors to my site, but so can that initial first time you visit a webpage and the graphical design really looks appealing.

It hasn't escaped me that you may need to know what condition the actual site is in that I'm talking about. If so, it's www.gamesforwork.com It lacks both features and a very Web 2.0 design with all the css and ajax bells and whistles.

Can any programmers or graphical designers out there give me some ideas, on which direction I should take? I already have my ideas for features, I don't need ideas like that. I am more looking for if it's going to cost a lot more for me to do the graphics first, or the programming first.

Thanks for any insight you may have on this.

(If it makes any difference our recode would be php,mysql,css,ajax/javascript with quite a bit of database driven pages that organize and display the content the user is interested in)

I would go with graphical end first along side with as many components of the GUI you wish to have move around etc..

I may not speak for every die hard coder. But as for myself, and many others I know. Having the pieces of the puzzle to work with an manipulate physically in one shape form or another is a lot easier to work with than piecing something together without any building blocks to build with.. Also helps from a coding perspective if you have anything near a halfway decent coder to know what our dimensions are. We can generally do anything with a blank canvas. But will it work with the canvas after its been laid out. Well thats enough babble from me.. Now a shameless plug.

If you need a freelance worker feel free to private message me. I am always looking for a side job to help pay the bills :-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.