Help with regular expression

ngreenwood6

Ok so here is the issue. I am trying to parse something out of a string that I provide. Basically the strings will look like this:

{display="something"}
{display="something_else"}
{display=""}

What I would like to do is be able to match against the display. Then if that exists to then find what the data in between the quotes is and set it into a variable. I was just doing a simple str_replace but I would like to make it dynamic so that anything can be entered there and it will work. I was hoping there is a method without using a regular expression (dont know them very well) but if not that is fine. Any help is appreciated.

Another thing, is display the name of the variable, or will that be static throughout? The way I'd go about it, if display is going to be the variable name.

$string = 'display="hello_world"';
if(preg_match('#\{(\w+)="(\w+)"\}#', $string, $match)){
   list($var, $val) = $match;
   $$var = $val;
   echo $display; // echos hello_world
}

Not tested, and it's also not as good as you could make it. See the variable name is matching alphanumeric characters, so you could enter 000="hello_world" and it would match. Probably better off making that into a character class. Depends how you're doing it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.