OOP examples for noobs

V

I've been using procedural code since I started learning PHP. I hear good thinks about OOP but it looks scary.  Does OOP function somehow like CSS? If you have experience with OOP, please share an example for us noobs, where you effectively use it.  :idea:

Does OOP function somehow like CSS?

Not at all.  OOP is a method of programming that involves using Objects... hence the name Object Oriented Programming.  You'd be fooling yourself from the get-go to try and compare it to CSS; even if you could find a correlation, well... best of luck to you.

Just as sinista already pointed out, Java is one of the best ways to get your hands dirty with OOP; just because (well, I'm no Java expert) it only uses OOP.  The first thing you'll learn in any Java tutorial is how to build the constructor.  I don't think I can stress enough that you should definitely dip into Java to get a feel of OOP.  Simple because, you don't use procedural code like you can in PHP.  By procedural I mean, you simply typing one statement and having a result.  Your best bet is to get a Beginner's guide to Java.. familiarize yourself with a compiler (like BlueJ or Netbeans) and go from there.

When you actually do get to the point where you believe you understand what OOP is, then maybe you should come back and look at the differences PHP offers as an OOP language.

not that this will help you code OO PHP but the java site has some good explanations of the concepts of OO i found it quite, when i was trying to understand things

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/index.html

damn missing word, I was supposed to say

..of the concepts of OO i found it quite useful,

(mainly because of some of the pictures), have just been reading some of the page from the PHP link above there pretty good

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.