Running a PHP script via CRON

isedeasy

I am running some php via a cron and I was after the best way to achieve this. Currently I am doing it as follows:-

0 * * * * lynx -dump http://www.domain.com/script.php

This works fine but I don't want anybody being able to run the script by pointing their browser to the file.

Any advice on the best method? Cheers.

Put the script outside of your servers document root and have php' cli execute it not the server.

0 * * * * /usr/bin/php /path/to/script.php

Most of the time (on this board) people use php for cron jobs when they don't even need to. What exactly does the script do?

Database queries can be executed directly from your crontab file if there not too large, otherwise, yeah, I would write a script. Generally bash but yeah, php's fine if that's what you know.

I'm not knocking the use of php, (well not trying too) its just that I see allot of people writing scripts in php that could be easily written in one line within the crontab file itself.

Its not that hard. The first 5 fields determine when the commands following will be executed.

For instance, if you want to give all your users 5 points every day they are a member. No need to write a script, it can be done with a single query and cron.

0 0 * * * mysql -uuname -ppword dbname -e "UPDATE users SET points=points+5"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.