Is it safe to save un/pw in cookie?

eevan79

I am using this script for "remember me" option:

if (isset($_POST['rememberme']))
                        {
                          /* Set cookie to last 1 year */
                          setcookie('username', $_POST['user_name'], time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 365);
                          setcookie('password', sha1($_POST['user_pass']), time() + 60 * 60 * 24 * 365);
                        }

Is it safe to save user data in cookie or there is better way? Can somebody steal password if there is more than one user at same computer? What do you suggest?

um...why would you do it that way? sorry for the question sounding rude. I don't mean it to, it's just that you should never store personal data in a cookie.

I would recommend you look at sessions, or generated hashes that you store in a cookie and a database.

The way I do it is I store a generated hash in the cookie which I store in my database. The validation code goes like this:

if(!isset($_SESSION["myusername"]) || $_SESSION["myusername"] == ''){
if(isset($_COOKIE["dtb_auth"])) {
	$sql = "SELECT DTB_Users.Username FROM DTB_Users WHERE DTB_Users.Session = '".$_COOKIE["dtb_auth"]."' limit 1";
	$result = mysql_query($sql);
	if(mysql_num_rows($result) != 0) {
		$Username = mysql_result($result,0);
		$_SESSION["myusername"] = $Username;
	}
	else {
		setcookie("dtb_auth", "", time()-3600, "/");
		header("location:index.php");
	}
}
else {
	header("location:index.php");
}
}

At the login page I have this code:

if(!isset($_COOKIE["dtb_auth"]) && $_POST['remember'] == 1) {
	/* expire in 20 years */
	setcookie("dtb_auth", session_id(), time()+631138519, "/");
	$sql="UPDATE DTB_Users SET Session = '".session_id()."' WHERE Username='".$myusername."'";
	$result=mysql_query($sql);
}

Pretty straightforward I think. If the normal session elapsed, check for 'perpetual' cookie, in this case dtb_auth (my 'rememberme' cookie). It checks it against the database and if it checks out, assigns a new session to it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.