Update function with Array of Authors

billy_111

Hi,

I have the following code which basically checks an array of input textboxes and inserts them into a database table:

public function insertAuthor($authArray, $PCorder=0)
    {
        $query = sprintf('SELECT Pid, Pname FROM People WHERE Pname IN(\'%s\') ORDER BY Pid ASC', implode('\',\'', $authArray));
        $result = mysql_query($query);

$maxquery = "SELECT MAX(CPid) as max FROM ConfPaper WHERE CPRid = ".$_GET['CPRid'];
        $maxresult = mysql_query($maxquery);
        $max = mysql_fetch_array($maxresult);
        $CPid = $max['max'];

if($result && mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)
        {
            $sqlValues = array();
            while(list($PId, $PName) = mysql_fetch_row($result))
            {
                if(in_array($PName, $authArray))
                {
                    $sqlValues[] = sprintf("(%d, 1, ".$CPid.", %d, now(), 0)", $PId
                                                               , $PCorder++ );
                    // Author already exists within the Pname table
                    // remove user from $authArray
                    $key = array_search($PName, $authArray);
                    unset($authArray[$key]);
                }
            }
        $sql  = "INSERT INTO PeopleCon(Person_id, PCHid, Pid, PCorder, PCdateadded, PCdeleted) VALUES \n";
        $sql .= implode(",\n", $sqlValues);
        $result = mysql_query($sql);
        }
        // If there are Authors left within the $authArray
        // Add them to the Pname table
        if(count($authArray) > 0)
        {
            People::insertPersons($authArray); // call insertPersons method for remaining authors
            $this->insertAuthor($authArray, $PCorder); // insert the remaining auhtors into PeopleCon
        }
    }

insertPersons method is as such:

public function insertPersons($PName)
    {
        $query = "INSERT INTO People (Pname) VALUES ('" . implode("'), ('", $PName) . "')";
        $result = mysql_query($query);
    }

The logic works by firstly checking to see if an Author exists, if so they are inserted into PeopleCon, if not they are inserted into People AND PeopleCon. This all works perfectly..

But now what  i need to do is build an update method where users can edit the authors also. The logic would be more or less the same, but i wouldn't neeed an insertpersons method, i would need to change it, and also the script would edit the existing authors, and if anymore are added apply the same method as above.

Can anyone help me out as to how i should go about tackling this?

Thanks

Kind regards

Billy

Ok, the method's logic will run so that it checks to see if an author from table exists,  if so add the results to a table called PeopleCon, else insert in to Poeple. From looking at my code, do you see any problems? How can i do this update statement..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.