How to create a simple Product Shipping Profile.

theITvideos

Hi there,

I am working on an e-commerce website on PHP and MySql. The website has products that suppliers can add and edit, which works fine.

Now we are required to create and add a shipping profile to the products. That is, a supplier can set up a profile where he'll specify, for example:

Setting Shipping charges of Product weight

$10/kg for US shipping

$20/Kg for Europe

$25/Kg for Rest of the world.

Once this profile is setup, I would need to attach this profile to a product.

Well, I can create a table named ProductProfile and enter this weight info and how do I go about attaching this to a product.

Any comment/feedback are always welcome!

Thank you :)

I'm not sure how many supplier profiles you'll have but I'm sure you can create an association table based on the weight. You might also have a table of shippers which would store the shippingID, the shipping company ID, and the weight, and the price for that weight. Then the shippingID can be used for the purchase based on the weight, the selected company. Is this what you were looking for?

Thanks for the reply jodietle.

Instead of shippers table, we have a 'suppliers' table who manages and ships the products.

I am thinking of creating a table called 'ShippingProfile' which will have:

• ShipProfileID,
  • ProfileName,
  • SupplierID (Indicating which supplier is creating a profile for products),
  • ItemWeightCharges-10kg (here supplier will specify how much he charges for a product of 10 kg),
  • ItemWeightCharges-20kg,
  • LocalPickup (a binary field, indicating the supplier will not ship and wants the item local pickup only),
  • FreeShipping (a binary field, where supplier can decide to ship items for free).

Once the Data is entered thru a web form by the supplier and he gives it a Profile Name, he can then attach this Shipping profile to his items.

Kindly let me know how we can make it better or is there something you think I need to do.

Please I need your feedback :)

Thank you!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.