Trim Array (remove lowest and highest values)

johnsmith153

(1)

I need to remove the lowest and higest values from an array. I need to actually remove the two lowest and two highest.

I suppose the best thing would be to sort the array and then use a function that just drops the first and last values (twice).

Is this the best way? Which function would drop the lowest / highest values?

(2) I then need to get the remaining first and last (highest and lowest) values. $array[0] would get first, and revesing the order and $array[0] again would get the last. Is this the best way?

1) If you sort the array you could use array_shift and array_pop to remove the first and last 2.

2) Using array_shift/pop will automatically modify the keys to start from 0 again, so to get the subsequent highest and lowest value you can just use:

$lowest = $array[0];
$highest = $array[count($array)-1];

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.