Online Quote tool

phatgreenbuds

So I am trying to make my life easier at work.  I have this idea that I can automate the sales quote via a simple website.  I have the entire product list in MySQL and I can query for the individual catagories etc etc and get them to display.

The display shows the SKU, Description, Price, and a third field to select quantity.  The issue is that once they select a quantity of a paticular line item I need that line item (sku, description, and price fields) to be carried over to the final quote page where the math is done.  Not sure how to key the paticular line item fields off the quantity field.

Any ideas greatly appreciated...

<?php
$query = "SELECT * FROM tbl_prods WHERE cat = 'fruit'";
$target = mysql_query($query);
confirm_query($target);
while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($target)) 
 {  
?>

<form action="quoter.php"  method="POST">
  <tr>
    <td><input name="sku" type="text" value="<?php echo $row[sku]; ?>" size="20" /></td>
    <td><textarea name="desc" cols="150" rows="2"><?php echo $row[desc]; ?></textarea></td>
    <td><input name="price" type="text" value="<?php echo $row[price]; ?>" size="20" /></td>
    <td><input name="quantity" type="text" value="0" size="3" maxlength="2" /></td>
  </tr>

<?php 
         }
?>

</table> 

<input type="hidden" name="cust" value="<?php echo $cust; ?>"></p>
<input type="hidden" name="reg" value="<?php echo $region; ?>"></p> 
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit"></p> 
</form>

Well, your first problem is that you are creating several forms on your page, but only having one submit button, and only ending one form with a </form> tag.  Pushing the SUBMIT button might produce some unexpected results.

In addition, it looks like you will generally be having multiple items show up on the page, yet each individual items form contains the same field names.  This will make it difficult to extract any reliable data at all on your quotes page.

I suggest that the first step you take is to restructure your form so as to eliminate any ambiguity.

From the looks of your script, there is no real need for the SKU, Description, and Price fields in your form to begin with (obviously, if there is need for them to be there for other scripts you have, then this won't apply), so my suggestion would be to initiate your form before your while loop, and include your item information inside the loop, but not as form elements.  From there, you could use either an ID number, or even the SKU number as your quantity fields name.

<?php

$target = mysql_query($query);
confirm_query($target);
 {  
?>

<tr>
    <td><?php echo $row['sku']; ?></td>
    <td><?php echo $row['desc']; ?></td>
    <td><?php echo $row['price']; ?></td>
    <td><input name="<?php echo $row['sku']; ?>" type="text" value="0" size="3" maxlength="2" /></td>
  </tr>

<?php 
         }
?>

</table> 

<input type="hidden" name="cust" value="<?php echo $cust; ?>"></p>
<input type="hidden" name="reg" value="<?php echo $region; ?>"></p> 
</form>

And then on quoter.php you can just run a foreach loop through your $_POST superglobal, and discard anything with a value of '0' from consideration (as these will be quantities of 0).  Anything with a value of 1 or greater should be processed with your quote script.

quoter.php

<?php

$toquote = array();

foreach ($_POST as $sku => $quantity){
   if ($sku == "cust" || $sku == "reg" || $sku == "submit" || $quantity == 0) {
      //  Don't quote these since these obviously aren't quantity fields
   } else {
      $toquote[$sku] = $quantity;
   }
}

?>

The $toquote array would then contain all of the items from the form that needed to be quoted (meaning they had quantities greater than 0), accessible by their SKU number as that items key.

Hopefully that helps!

EDIT: Fixed a syntax error in the code.  Fast typing FTL.

ahhh I see. I was having trouble understanding what you did here and thats because I included something that was unrelated. Those two hidden fields are something totally different and not related to this.

<?php
$target = mysql_query($query);confirm_query($target);	

{  ?>         

<tr>    
<td><input name="sku" type="text" value="<?php echo $row[sku]; ?>" size="20" /></td>    
<td><textarea name="desc" cols="150" rows="2"><?php echo $row[desc]; ?></textarea></td>    
<td><input name="price" type="text" value="<?php echo $row[price]; ?>" size="20" /></td>    
<td><input name="quantity" type="text" value="0" size="3" maxlength="2" /></td>  
</tr>

<?php          
}
?>
</table> 
</form>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.