Anyway of Decrypting a md5 Password? Forgot PW Form - HELP

oliverj777

Hello,

My user login script saves their passwords into my SQL in a md5 encryption.

I am currently working on a 'forgot password' that sends the password to their email.

The code that pulls out the password is this:

echo $req_user_info['pass'];

Now is there a way to decrypt the 'pass' (currently nothing is displayed - not even the encryption code)

Please help - Ollie

Okay -

Is there a way to find out how many characters the password has? (for a different purpose) -- I would like to display their password on a 'manage user page' like so: ***** - so I would only be retrieving a character count, and using that figure to place the ** accordingly??

Cheers

Humm, okay.

What would be the code for counting ($count) how many characters their are in a text field then?

-- then to echo it...

This is what I want ...

$word = "hello"

$count = How many characters in $word.

echo $count

You cant md5 is a one way only hash that results in a hash with the same length for anything.

If you have access to the database (which i assume you have, otherwise how do you know the hashed pwd?  :-*)

In that case hash a new pwd and put it directly in the row of your database. You cant decrypt it. thats the whole idea.

Google for rainbowtable md5 cracking if you wanna try it anyways.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.