(Relatively) Secure PHP Login System?

k4

Hey all,

I'm in the process of developing a PHP login system for the website of a team I'm involved with. I have a MySQL database already set up to hold user data, but I lack the knowledge to create a respectably secure login system. I tend to be a tad obsessive when it comes to security, and seeing different systems being implemented on various tutorials that cover this topic makes me cynical of the integrity of any of them. So, my question is: how can I create a secure login system that isn't too complex in implementation? Are there any reliable tutorials for this? Would some sort of system that uses session variables be what I'm looking for? I don't require excessive security, but privelidges gained if this system is compromised would be no small matter.

Thanks for any help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.