Truncating text within a field

bplumb

Hi all,

I am relatively new to coding but wondered if someone can helpe me with this. I currently have a PHP file which outputs text that has been entered into a text box and saved.

The original output code was this:

if ( $this->theme->conf->item_description AND $this->doc->data->dmdescription ) :

<?php echo $this->doc->data->dmdescription;?>

but I want the text that shows to be truncated to say, 100 characters plus '...' so I came up with the following...

<?php $someText = ($this->doc->data->dmdescription);?>

<?php echo(substr($someText, 0,100)).'...'; ?>

However it shows nothing. I guess $someText is bing linked to dmdescription rather than the text within dmdescription? Any ideas greatly appreciated!

bplumb

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I feel we are close but not close enough yet! Here is the error returned...

Savant2: template source file not found ( code :-7 )

Catchable fatal error: Object of class Savant2_Error_docman could not be converted to string in (directory address)/list.tpl.php on line 59

Line 59 on this other PHP file is...

include $this->loadTemplate('documents/list_item.tpl.php');

(where list_item.tpl.php is the file we are currently trying to add the truncate text to)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.