Querying DB for particular month in DATETIME

Hutchie

Hi all,

I am currently storing dates and times for certain events in the following format:

$now= date('Y-m-d H:i:s');

This variable is then stored in a MySQL field of type DATETIME. I am looking for a way to query the database to return all results in a certain month, or within a certain time range, or a certain year etc.

How would this be achieved?

e.g. If I wanted to select everything for the year 2009, would it be:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE date BETWEEN '2009-01-01 00:00:00' AND '2009-12-31 11:59:59' ?

Thanks!

Try using the DATE(), MONTH(), YEAR() functions in Mysql.

Ex.

SELECT MONTH(`date`) FROM table;
SELECT * FROM table WHERE MONTH(`date`) = MONTH('2009-01-01 00:00:00') AND YEAR(`date`) = YEAR('2009-01-01 00:00:00');
SELECT * FROM table WHERE MONTH(`date`) = '12' AND YEAR(`date`) = '2009';

Thanks jc, but I think you misunderstood my question.

It seems like you are trying to get pull a month or year out from a stored entry. Rather, I am trying to query the database, and get a list of results of all rows that have occurred at a particular time, or during a particular time range.

Let me give a more specific example.

I have a table of users, and in a field called createdon I stored the date and time of the account creation as described above in a DATETIME type field. I now want to return a list of all users created during 2009.

Hi all,

I am currently storing dates and times for certain events in the following format:

$now= date('Y-m-d H:i:s');

This variable is then stored in a MySQL field of type DATETIME. I am looking for a way to query the database to return all results in a certain month, or within a certain time range, or a certain year etc.

How would this be achieved?

e.g. If I wanted to select everything for the year 2009, would it be:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE date BETWEEN '2009-01-01 00:00:00' AND '2009-12-31 11:59:59' ?

Thanks!

Yes..

SELECT * FROM table WHERE date BETWEEN '2009-01-01 00:00:00' AND '2009-12-31 11:59:59'

would work.

Thanks jc, but I think you misunderstood my question.

It seems like you are trying to get pull a month or year out from a stored entry. Rather, I am trying to query the database, and get a list of results of all rows that have occurred at a particular time, or during a particular time range.

Let me give a more specific example.

I have a table of users, and in a field called createdon I stored the date and time of the account creation as described above in a DATETIME type field. I now want to return a list of all users created during 2009.

So, you would use part of my 3rd example.

SELECT * FROM table WHERE YEAR(`date`) = '2009';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.