How can I get Paypal to send variables back to me once completed?

Hobgoblin11

OK, I think this should belong on this board.

I am trying to write something that does the following (simplified for ease of understanding):

User has signed into my website and has a session variable with their user id in it. There is a table in the mySQL databse that contains details about the user. (this part is already working)

User wants to pay for a trip, so clicks a customised Paypal button that takes him to the Paypal site. The item has an trip id associated with it.

Once the transaction has been completed, I want to feed information back to my website, and insert the 'item id' and 'user id' into a field in a table in the database.

Any idea how I might do this!? Whilst I have a basic script that will insert a row into my table, it relies on variables being sent from the page it is on, thus will not work when the user is redirected to Paypal, as I cannot find a way to send variables to paypal about the item, and then have them send it back to me once the transaction is complete.

My PHP is self-taught so sorry if this way of doing things seems a bit scrappy.

Oky dokey, after a couple of days off, I've nabbed the standard Paypal listener off their site and have it working from paypal's sandbox. Obviously I need to adapt and expand it further

How do I now send my custom variables, is it as simple as including a couple of lines like this in my button?

<input type="hidden" name="tripid" value="<?php echo $tripid; ?>">

<input type="hidden" name="userid" value="<?php echo $userid; ?>">

Thanks a lot, your help is really appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.