Warning: include failed to open stream: No such file or directory

johnmerlino

Hey all,

I viewed this tutorial and the guy used $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] to reference a view layout for his specific index file. So I tried to imitate and did exactly what he did, but for me I got the following error:

Warning: include(/Users/jmerlino/Sites/mark/public/diet/views/layouts/shop.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/index.php on line 22

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/Users/jmerlino/Sites/mark/public/diet/views/layouts/shop.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/index.php on line 22

This is the php code that is causing this error:

include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/'.'diet/views/layouts/'.$controller.'.php');

I'm not sure why it's going to:

/Users/jmerlino/Sites/mark/public/diet/views/layouts/shop.php

instead of:

/Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/views/layouts/shop.php

Thanks for any response

the reason it would do that is because of where to document root is set to( i think) you could also try:

include(__DIR__."/views/layouts/shop.php");

Yeah that worked. Still not sure how I would have been able to address $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. But I will use your solution for now. thanks.

It's likely that your web host originally had a different folder structure set up and/or your account got moved to a different server and what you currently have for DOCUMENT_ROOT is the definition that was written to your vhosts file when your account was created. Your web host would need to correct the document root setting.

I'm running this locally. Does that mean I have to find vhosts file locally? and I think am going to have to figure out what's wrong with the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], because this:

include(__DIR__.'/'.'/views/'.$controller.'/'.$view.'.php'); //where $controller holds string shop and $view holds string index

produces this error:

Warning: include(/Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/views/layouts//views/shop/index.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/views/layouts/shop.php on line 19

when it should produce this:

/Users/jmerlino/Sites/diet/views/shop/index.php

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.