text formatting

doddsey_65

I want a little online users list at the bottom of my page and the color of the username is to match the color defined in the database. but how do i get them to align side by side? if i add them to a <p> they will all appear under neath each other. Heres my current code:

$sql=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".DB_PREFIX."members WHERE online = 1");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_object($sql)) {

echo '<p style="color: #'.$row->username_color.';">'.$row->username.'</p>';

}

also i want a comma at the end of each but how do i stop it adding a comma to the end of the last one?

Don't, use <p> use an inline element such as <span> instead.

To display the usernames in a comma delimited list there are different ways you can do this. Here are a few

Option1

$usrers = '';
while ($row = mysql_fetch_object($sql))
     $users .= '<span style="color: #'.$row->username_color.';">'.$row->username.'</span>, ';

// removes the last two character from the end of the string (which will be the comma and a space)
echo '<p>' . sub_str($users, 0, -2) . '</p>';

Or

$users = array();
while ($row = mysql_fetch_object($sql))
     $users[] = '<span style="color: #'.$row->username_color.';">'.$row->username.'</span>'; // add all users to the users array

// implode the users into a comma delimited string.
echo '<p>' . implode(', ', $users) . '</p>';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.