PHP Custom Application Server

elmario

Would it be possible to create a passive socket server using php, for a client-server php app, that runs as some sort of daemon?

I understand that you probably can't understand much of what I mean, but I hope you understand enough to help me in some way.

PHP APPLICATION - > APPLICATION SERVER - > DATABASE(S)

ideag.png

Explanation:

Each instance of the PHP application would connect to the "Application Server" and use it to fetch information and perform some commands.

Could this be done using sockets ?

Simple examples would help :)

Thank You!

Yes it's possible to let PHP run as a "daemon" using the command:

set_time_limit(0);

However as PHP is not designed for such applications it may be best to look for other technologies that better fit the bill like Flash. The new ActionScript comes with socket server support like ElectroServer (which is specifically designed for hosting Flash-based MMO games). The same company (ElectroTank) also released a book explaining every bit you need to get your own game up and running (ActionScript for Multiplayer Games and Virtual Worlds).

As ignace stated, yes it is possible. For the client you would need to use HTML5 websockets, which aren't implemented, or fully implemented, in most browsers, yet.

It's also worth noting that from personal experience I've learned that using PHP for a socket server scales horribly; even at a fairly low level.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.