Unable to Retrieve MySQL Data

VicHost

Hi folks,

Complete No0b here when it comes to PHP and MySQL.

I am in the middle of creating a PHP website. What I want to do is have the contents of a page in a MySQL table and have PHP gather the page content and display it on the page.

Here is what I have in my home.tpl file:

<?php $query  = "SELECT home, FROM $database_name";
$result = mysql_query($query); ?>

And, in my index.php I simply call that home.tpl to display the data by using:

<?php include 'templates/default/home.tpl'; ?>

Now, all I get is a blank page on index.php. Is there something else I should be doing?

Remember, I am a complete No0b!

Thanks folks.

Try

<?php $query  = "SELECT home FROM $database_name";
$result = mysql_query($query); 
$row = mysql_fetch_row($result);
echo $row[0];
?>

You also wanna set $datebase_name to the TABLE name. You also need to create a MySQL Resource link using the mysql_connect() function. You should read up on using PHP to connect to MySQL and perform queries.

I've never used .tml files, so I may not be any help.

In your index.php file, do everything there, just to see if you can get anything to echo.  That way we know if your getting results.  We can then move to get the include to work.

Thanks mate.

I have tried directly in index.php and same results.

The Include is working fine. If I just type something into home.tpl such as "Test" it shows in index.php

If this is all you have in home.tpl...  It's not going to work.

You at least need to define those variables in home.tpl or index.php, and echo the query results.

I don't understand why you are including SQL statements from .tpl into an index.php.

Keep it simple.

If this is all you have in home.tpl...  It's not going to work.

You at least need to define those variables in home.tpl or index.php

Thanks mate. So what do I need to add to this?

You are just quering the database and not grabbing any records.  You need to grab the records with a mysql_fetch_array(); or any other fetch function.

You can then echo them on the page.  I don't see any echo statements or anywhere where you are trying to grab record data.

Coupe-r has it correct. Look above to my original post.. There is the example you want.

Again, there is there is no good reason to pursue in this manner.  Storing HTML in a database can be a hassle, and restricts you from defining conditional HTML.

Basically, a template should define a model of conditional and non conditional HTML, only querying data for non HTML insertion and to resolve any conditional HTML you may have in your template.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.