Security help

Spectre

Hi there,

I'm in serious need to find a way to block people from a website I code for. The thing is, we have a jailing system, nice and simple, and IP/email ban system too. But with proxies, advertisers and repeated troublemakers keep coming back because we just get the new proxy IP each time and it's a losing battle. What I need is a way to ban them properly from the site, like somehow stopping the computer they use from accesing the site. someone once said you can use a cookie to stop a browser getting on the site, but I don't know how to set it up to give the cookies out upon login and find the one associated to an account we don't want (by "cookie" banning I guess?") and stop them from logging in.

Well this game has been going the best part of 6 years. And the same few undesireables keep on coming back, and it's just... infuriating. Was hoping there'd be something, a function someone has come up with to help. Before it drives myself as the lone coder and the staff team to the brink of sanity (not that i'm far off, code monkey and all)

• 4 months later...

Still having problems with some people.

People have to register in order to play the game and use chat etc. But IP banning is becoming pointless as they just find another proxy and use it. I really need a way to ban someone by their computer or something.

banning people by computer is impossible at least i hope, because if not it would also be an extreme privacy breach.

Did you try anything like a captcha or stuff? What maybe also is a solution is to verify accounts. if an account is verified there posts become visible and otherwise they need moderation. I pretty much assume, that ones the bad guys see their post are not shown at all, they will find another victim. besides that normal users can have a verified sign on there account which might even make them happy. :) This last solution might seem pretty intensive, but it wont give spammers the opportunity to get free marketing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.