Bread0.65

Chicken3.50

Milk1.00

Coca Cola1.20

Apples0.90

Toothpaste1.00

Oranges0.80

Milk1.00

What I'm looking to do is collect all of the milks, all of the butters, etc and give a $total_price_spent_on value for each product, so for milk we'd have 3.05, for oranges we'd have 0.80, and so on until all items on the list have been totalled.  Then I want to select the most expensive 3 totals, display them in a pie chart, and all other items to be listed under an "other" label.

Any pointers as to how to go about this?

Many thanks :)

To get the product totals in order of amount (highest to lowest) you would do a query such as this:

SELECT product_name, SUM(product_cost) as product_total
FROM tableName
GROUP BY product_cost
ORDER BY product_total DESC

Then when processing the record set you could add up the totals for the other items. Alternatively you could set a limit on that query to only get the top three products and do a second query to get the grand_total (either excluding the top three or subtracting the top three totals after you get the results).

As for creating a pie chart, there are many solutions available. Just do a google search for "PHP Pie Chart".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.