php <a href> link using mysql ID

dmcdaniel

Im fairly new to PHP and have a quick question.

I am creating a mail system from scratch and I have two main SQL rows, ID and read. I need to put a link around the ID so that it only pops up in a pop up window that message.

This is the coding I have so far, feel free to point out where I have gone wrong:

<?

include('../config/config.php');

$Query = sprintf("SELECT * FROM qa LEFT JOIN EmployeeInfo ON(qa.Agentsname = EmployeeInfo.Name) WHERE EmployeeInfo.Name LIKE '%s'", mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['SESS_NAME']));
$result = mysql_query($Query);
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);

echo "<table border='0' cellspacing='10' cellpadding='10'>";
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td><strong>Message ID</strong></td><td><strong>Team Lead</strong></td><td><strong>Unread/Read</strong></td><td><strong>Score</strong></td>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo "<tr><td><a href='http://10.0.11.5/form/employees/attendance/qaview.php?id='". $row['ID'] . ">" . $row['ID'] . "</a></td><td>" . $row['Name'] . "</td><td>" . $row['read'] . "</td><td>" . $row['Score'] . "</td></tr>"; 
  }
echo "</table>";

?>

and this is the qaview.php page

<?

include('../config/config.php');

$query = doquery("SELECT * FROM qa WHERE ID='$ID'");
$update_query=doquery("UPDATE qa SET read='1' WHERE ID='$ID'");
    $row = mysql_fetch_array($query);

echo "<td><strong>" . $row['Name'] . "</strong></td></tr>";

?>

I may have misunderstood this completely, but I think you want a pop up window which is a client side feature. PHP is all done on the server and generates the html for you, before it is rendered and displayed by the browser. I suspect that you will have to organise some kind of ajax call to generate the pop up of the information when they click on the link.

I will only say one thing; full tags for php, the use of short tags (between servers) can stop a script in it's tracks if it's not set in the ini file.  Always use full tags, good practise & saves headaches later on.

Cheers,

Rw

Maybe I didn't clarify properly. Sorry about that.

What I want to do is this:

Basically, create an internal mailer of sorts. I have a form that places info into a database and places a 0 in the read box (this signifies unread). My first page shows all of the unread messages. Where the message_id is located, I want to create a link to another page so that it ONLY brings up that one message from the database.

Is this possible to do in php and mysql?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.