Using a newline character

fortnox007

HI all, something that keeps bothering me is that i do not fully understand the usefullness of the \n newline character.

When i use  for testing in a string it doesn't show the effect in my browser. Only when I press view source I can see that right after the \n character the code jumps down 1 line. Does anyone know how and when to use it? I have see it with the php mail function, but i don't really understand why they use it.

If someone could enlighten me i would be very happy  ::)

I can give you 1 useful reason for it. You can put Google ads JavaScript code to one line in your php file. But I see no point id using it for sourecode either, since there are things like firebug or how ever they call the same thing in chrome that is not extension and is more usable.

They're used in mail headers, HTTP headers and almost all other headers to distinguish between each individual header.  Also you'll need them in CSV/text files to distinguish the lines.  A newline character will be rendered in text (text file, text viewer, text email etc.).  In HTML it only applies to the source code which is text.  To generate an HTML line break you'll need <BR>.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.