Deny direct access to a PHP file

The Eagle

I've got a question, I thought I'd be able to do this fairly easily. I don't want to do an .htaccess solution also.

I tried this,

define('ACCESS', TRUE);

// then on other page 
if(!defined('ACCESS'){die('Direct access not allowed.');}

Need some assistance, appreciated.

Thanks for your response, I've actually found some other solution, a simple, non-complicated one perfect for me.

Included on the file you want to include the file on (sounds odd...)

<?php
$pw = "monkey";
include("updates.php");
?>

Then on my updates.php page,

if ($pw != "monkey") { 
         die("Access denied."); 
} 
echo "Monkeys are cool...";
?>

Simple small fix I'm looking for. Thanks.

The problem with that approach is that if there is ever a PHP parsing error, the raw code *could* potentially be exposed. That exposed code could then be used to find weaknesses in the site and infiltrate it. This has happened in the past with some well-known sites.

Instead, if you have files that should never be accessed directly, there is a very simple, fool-proof technique: don't include them in the public directory! In other words, do not point the root of the web address to the root of your folder structure.

For example, you could create a directory structure such as this:

filesystem root
|
--classes
| 
--common
| 
--htdocs (public folder)
| 
--inlcudes
| 
--Templates

The index.php file for the home page would go into the htdocs folder and you would make that the root for the website. There is no way for users to access the other folders above. But, the PHP code could access those files via include() or other means.

However, you have to include files such as images, javascript, etc, in the htdocs folder or subfolders because those are "requested" through the browser not the PHP code.

Instead, if you have files that should never be accessed directly, there is a very simple, fool-proof technique: don't include them in the public directory! In other words, do not point the root of the web address to the root of your folder structure.

For example, you could create a directory structure such as this:

filesystem root
|
--classes
| 
--common
| 
--htdocs (public folder)
| 
--inlcudes
| 
--Templates

The index.php file for the home page would go into the htdocs folder and you would make that the root for the website. There is no way for users to access the other folders above. But, the PHP code could access those files via include() or other means.

Yes, I was thinking of doing this. I thought an easy solution would be something bizarre like,

<?php include("123news.php"); ?>

I'm unsure how many people would actually precisely guess that name.

Thanks for your response, I've actually found some other solution, a simple, non-complicated one perfect for me.

Included on the file you want to include the file on (sounds odd...)

<?php
$pw = "monkey";
include("updates.php");
?>

Then on my updates.php page,

if ($pw != "monkey") { 
         die("Access denied."); 
} 
?>

Simple small fix I'm looking for. Thanks.

That's the same as using the define:

<?php
define('ACCESS', true);
include("updates.php");
?>

Then on your updates.php page:

defined('ACCESS') or die('Access denied');

The constant ACCESS will be available in functions or classes whereas the $pw variable will not.  I would stick with the define.

I have a project where ALL of the files with any logic are secured in non-public folders on the server one level up from the public folder. My homepage (index.php) only has a couple of lines of code to point it to the real files with the PHP Logic:

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);

$_PATHS['root']      = dirname(dirname(__FILE__)) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;

include ($_PATHS['root'].'main.php');
exit();

?>

Of course I do have other pages that are publicly available. But, all they do is set parameters for the modules to load then call the index.php page. Here is the page to access the management functions of the site. It would be accessed at the url: http://www.mysite.com/manage/index.php

<?php

$module = "manage";
include("../index.php");

?>

As you can see, all it does is set a value for the $module and then calls the index.php page at the "web" root. That page, then calls the logic files that are secured in non-public directories.

@mjdamato

Does your Setup also works nice for website with search friendly URL's  / mod_rewrite. I have never looked in the logic of that, but I always thought it rewrites the current URl and thus depends on the directory structure. But I might as well be completely incorrect :)

@mjdamato

Does your Setup also works nice for website with search friendly URL's  / mod_rewrite. I have never looked in the logic of that, but I always thought it rewrites the current URl and thus depends on the directory structure. But I might as well be completely incorrect :)

Yes, of course. As I stated above, the "pages" are accessible to the user with direct URLs. It's just that those pages (files) don't include any real logic - they simply call secured files that have all the logic. There is no way a browser or search engine can know that the page was created with files in the public space or not. They only react to the final content that is delivered.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.