PHP >> Mysql querying database with string array values

djinnov8

Hey there...

I'm so stuck on this problem I was hoping someone could help...

I need to query a MySQL Database using array values...

Here is my array ... $query_keywords = Array ( [7] => business [10] => home [11] => depo )

Here is my php ...$query = "SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_name, product_comment IN ($query_keywords)";

$result=mysql_query($query);

if(mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)

{

echo "results";

}

else

{

echo "no results";

}

Unfortunately, I get this ...

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in blah\blah\results.php on line 99

Please help me :'( :shrug: :'(

All comments greatly appreciated...

Your not specifying an index for the array, so if you were to echo the sql to screen the word array would be in the mix - so use a for each to iterate through the array, then you can generate the rest from that...

Cheers,

Rw

This forum is the best thing since sliced bread...

Thanks RWWD...Yes, I see what you mean so I'll give it a try...

I'm a newbie with coding and PHP and have been toying with the foreach loop but on top of the query I need is another problem...

I'll probably need to build the foreach loop to query the table for different combinations of the array values...

Looking at my array and my table - each column could contain one of my values e.g. 'business' OR...

each column could contain two of my values in a different order e.g. "business, depot"...OR "depot, business"

...and so on and so forth depending upon the amount of values I am looking for...

I have an idea your foreach loop will do that but my inexperience with coding is complicating matters...

If anyone has ideas for the syntax, please let me know...thanks in advance

so use a for each to iterate through the array, then you can generate the rest from that...

Or use implode

$query = "SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_name, product_comment IN ('" . implode("','", $query_keywords) . "')";

Thanks for your input Wildteen...

I tried your query like this but still ended up with the error...

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in blah\blah\results.php on line 99

no results

$query = "SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_name, product_comment IN ('" . implode("' ,'", $query_keywords) . "')";

echo "<br />" . $query;

if(mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)

{

echo "results";

}

else

{

echo "no results";

}

Here is an echo of my select statement...

SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_name, product_comment IN ('business','home','depo')

Your query is has invalid syntax. The issue is highlighted in red

SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_name, product_comment IN ('business','home','depo')[/quoute]

What are you trying to do with that query?

Hi WT,

Trying to pick the out any data in the product_name and product_comment tables that contain any combination of the values in my array...

Looking at my example, my query should ask

"Does the product_name and product_comment tables have any rows with the word business OR home OR depo...

Example 1. So if one of the rows in the product_name table contains a product called like " The business accounting package", then it should pick up that row.

Example 2. If one of the rows in the product_name table contains nothing but the product_comment table contains a comment like "I run a business at home"...then my query should pick it up...

Example 3. If one of the rows in the product_comment table contains the phrase "I run a business at home called the depo company"...then it should pick this one out as well...

Hopefully, I can then use the results and maybe using PHP, choose which query picked out the most words/values from my array...and sort them accordingly.

So looking at my examples...

Example 3 had three hits from my array

Example 2 had two

Example 1 had one hit...

This means, I will show Example 3 query results at the top because it had the most matches from my array, then query results from Example 2, then Example 1...

Hopefully my explanation makes things a little clearer...

OR use a loop to build the WHERE clause for a single query:

$query_keywords = Array ( 7 => 'business', 10 => 'home', 11 => 'depo' );
$where = '';
foreach ($query_keywords as $keyword) {
  if (empty($where)) $where = 'WHERE ';
  else $where .= ' OR ';

$where .= "product_name LIKE '%$keyword%' ";
  $where .= "OR product_comment LIKE '%$keyword%'";
}
$query = "SELECT * FROM product $where";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.