Deleting a line from an array with a delete button

maria

Hello,

I am new to php, and what I need to know and learn is a part of an assignment I normally wouldn't ask for help on the net for an assignment but my teacher is not very helpful and other students are struggling too! I have searched the net inside and out and have tried many things. My problem is that I am trying to remove a line from an array by clicking a delete button.

The outpur I need is:

a line of text that comes from my text file after it is exploded into an array | With a delete button here

next line of text that comes from my text file after it is exploded into an array | With a delete button here

etc

I have managed to write this much myself -

<?php
$file = fopen('fav/fav.txt', 'r');
$file = file_get_contents('fav/fav.txt');
$file_array = explode("\n",$file);
array_pop($file_array);
foreach($file_array as $line) {
echo "<form method='post' action=''>".$line.
"<input type='submit' name='post' value='delete'><br>";
$fh = fopen("fav/fav.txt",'w');
foreach ($file_array as $line) {
fwrite($fh,$line."\n");
}
fclose($fh);
} 
?>

The array_pop deletes from the bottom instead of the line the button is next too, I realise I will need to use and if statement but this is the closest I have gotten.

Thanks in advance!!!

Just to nitpick your code a little.  Your are assigning two different things to $file, both are different.  Meaning, the file_get_contents will overwrite the file handler returned by fopen.  So the first line in your code is useless.

Secondly, if you want a quick array of EVERY line in a file, use the file() function, it does exactly this.

Thirdly, in your loop, you are creating a NEW form for every single line, which isn't that bad, but it isn't needed either.  It's best practice to only have one form, unless the other form has a different purpose (like a login)

The code below should help you out.

$file = file("yourfile.txt");
if(isset($_POST['post']) && !empty($_POST['post']) {
    unset($file[$_POST['post']]);
     $fh = fopen("yourfile.txt",'w');
     foreach ($file as $line)
          fwrite($fh,$line."\n");
     fclose($fh);
}

echo "</pre>
<form method="'post'" action="''">\n";
foreach($file as $line)
     echo $line . "
\n";
?>
<

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.