Problem combining tables

katarra

I'm trying to combine 3 tables (attacks, spells, skills) where it brings in all the information from attacks and spells into the table skills.

The common row between all 3 is "name".

Here is what I have so far.

$query = "SELECT * FROM `skills`,`attacks`,`spells` WHERE (`attacks.name`=`skills.name` OR `spells.name`=`skills.name`) AND `user_id`='".$_SESSION['userid']."'";

Thanks!

I'm having it list available "abilities" that someone can use in a battle script.

I don't know of a different way to do it, so that's why I put it like this. I'm still a novice at php.

Will one player have all 3? Attacks spells skills? Or are you going to be asking your db to recognize what your player is THEN pull related database. Secondly, is there a 'spellpoint' system. When a player exhausts their spell points...you'll want your code to recognize it and negate use of the attack/spell/skill, yes?

Could you tell me the structure of your Databases plz? For what I have in mind..you may need to add a few things to have it function..

A player "could" have spells and attacks, yes. When a player purchases/learns a spell/attack, then the `skills` table gets updated with the following information from that `spells` or `attacks` table: (item_id = the spell or attack id#, name = name of the spell or attack, attacks/spells = whatever the thing being purchased is, and then user_id = the person's unique id# that purchased the spell).

There is an "energy" row in `spells` and `attacks` so that when a player expends all of their energy, they can't do any more attacking. There is also a `mp` row in `spells` that is associated with each specific spell, so that when you run out of mp, you can't cast anymore.

If you want me to copy/paste exactly what the db tables include, I can do that too.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.