PayPal IPN Return Item Data Dynamically Handled - item_number1, 2, 3 ect [code]

BizLab

Here is something i dreamt up, i know there is a way for this to work, but i'm not having any great ideas at this point. I want to be able to auto increment through the $_POST[] array data sent from a PayPal IPN. Sample return data looks like

item_number1=val

item_name1=val

so on and so forth. The idea is: While there are $_POST item_numbers, do something with it. The loop continues until there are no more item_numbers. I don't want to use the static methods eg: explicitly defining item_number1, item_number2, ect. This is what i thought would work, but keeps failing -> the script doesn't enter the first condition:

$x = 1; // set the initial item number
        while(isset($_POST['item_number$x'])){
            $qty = $_POST['quantity$x'];
            while($qty > 0){                
                // step through each item response result, setting each item to paid
                $package_id = $_POST['item_number$x'];    
                update_paid_status($transaction_id, $package_id);
                $qty--;            
            }
            $x++;
        }

Any Ideas?

Testing shows that the problem is with the

$_POST['item_number$x']

more specifically the "$x" variable being stuck in there, but i don't know of another way to iterate through Paypal's slick POST variables... That line was intended to be displayed as:

$_POST['item_number1']
$_POST['item_number2']
$_POST['item_number3']

I am not sure but is the way the dollar-sign with the [] is the way to do it? i have never seen that so i am not sure : )

I am afraid that i know nothing about paypal variables, but if your fetching array results why dont you use the For each loop? If i am correct using the while loop is possible to for running through them but you need list().  Not sure though but it's worth a try.

If you could maybe give more code i could come up with something : ) lol

May I ask how PayPal give it's "slick" post variables, and what is expected to be in them?

I just renamed / changed something in your script which maybe is what your looking for, but i am pretty sure this while loop isnt right if your fetching array results. Here goes nothing  :shy:

$x = 1; // set the initial item number
        while(isset($_POST['item'].$x)){
            $qty = $_POST['quantity'].$x; // i placed a .$x behind it, 
            while($qty > 0){                
                // step through each item response result, setting each item to paid
                $package_id = $_POST['item'].$x;    // i placed a .$x behind it, 
                update_paid_status($transaction_id, $package_id);
                $qty--;            
            }
            $x++;
        }

Lol but i really just don't know what vars your dealing with

I wrote something for you, maybe this is more as you like it:

<?php
    $paypal_item["monkey"] = "3"; // an array with the name paypal_item, with an item name and quantity
    $paypal_item["donkey"] = "4";
    $paypal_item["frog"] = "6";
    $paypal_item["kitty"] = "1";
    $paypal_item["lepricorn"] = "8";
    $paypal_item["cow"] = "300";

function paypal_custom_function($array){ // a custom function to loop through the paypal array.
        foreach($array as $item => $quantity){
            echo "item: {$item} quantity: {$quantity}.<br />\n";
            update_paid_status($transaction_id, $package_id)or die ('error');
            echo 'result = succes!<br />';
        }
    }

echo paypal_custom_function($paypal_item);  //An echo that calls the function and loops through everything gives an error if needed and else succes
?>

GREAT EYE DAVIDAM!!!! And thanks for the help Fortnox

All that is left is to work out the processes and i will be 100% thanks to the awesome contributors in this forum

When you put a variable inside of single quotes it is a literal. When you use double quotes, it is interpreted:

$x = 1;
$key = 'item_number$x'; // $key will be item_number$x

$key = "item_number$x"; // $key will be item_number1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.