PHP large file uploads: memory_limit ? max_execution_time?

akshay

Hello.

My script is set to upload files upto 5GB large.

For that script I've currently set memory_limit to 5GB. Is it alright?

I mean what is the ideal value (for large upload scripts)

If you feel, 5GB is large. I can make script to upload 2GB files and set memory_limit accordingly.

Also, max_execution_time has been set by me to 86400 currently. Assuming, on a 500Kbps broadband, it would require upto 24 hours to upload a 3-5GB file.

Please suggest.

Thank you.

The execution of the script starts when the file is already uploaded. The web server handles the entire process and stores the uploaded file in a temporary directory, not in memory. You do not have to touch any of these PHP settings, but just the maximum size of the POST upload.

Oh, good point.

But before I noticed when max_execution_time was set to 1000 sec. The Connection would give a "Connection Reset" error. Since I've set it to 172000 (2days), it works fine. My host reported they made some changes and asked me to confirm. You think it can be because my host actually "fixed" something on server?

Or, it's coz of newly changed PHP values (by me)? Please be sure.

Thank you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.