What would be your reaction to this??

bugcoder

I have hosted two websites with xyz company in USA and about a week ago my both websites went down and after 4 days of delay i received following email from the company. What should be anyone's reaction to such hosting company?????? I really got frustrated with their this kind of service..........

Dear Customer,

We regret to say that an unfortunate incident happened with one of our Linux Server probably hosting your website, the primary as well as backup hard disks got bad same time. Such incident is very rare and throughout our 12 years business, this is first time happened where our backup server storage got bad along with primary server storage same time. Site engineers in the data center tried their best but no luck.

We have shipped hard drives to a 3rd party lab (Flashback Data, LLC - Austin, Texas, USA) for data recovery and it will take somewhere 3-4 days. They have very good reputation of 80-90% recovery and their charges are from US $500 – US$8,500 per hard drive depending upon the situation of the hard disk. At this point of time, we already have signed up agreement with Flashback Data LLC and have given go head for data recovery. We are using FedEx overnight shipment (the fastest available) back and forth from the Data Recovery Lab to the Data Center. Hopefully, data will be recovered any time within next 2-4 days, if there is any minute chance of data recovery.

Those Clients who have backup of their website

We do have plenty of stand-by servers ready in Texas data center as well as in our Michigan and Indiana data centers. So we request to those clients who have local backup copy of their websites and can upload to the new servers, please do not wait for the data recovery and let us know so we can setup your accounts on an alternative servers and you could go live immediately.

Those Clients who do not have backup of their website

Those who do not have backup and needs data to be recovered, please wait until we hear back from Data Recovery Lab. We will keep you posted.

We do understand how critical it is and we also understand your situation but believe us, we are doing our best.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

My reaction would be to immediately shitcan them and go elsewhere. Not because of the outage, those things can happen. Not because of the lack of backups, because it's rarely a hosting company's responsibility to backup a client's website. But because of the 4 day delay in contacting customers with any information, and the complete lack of professionalism in the letter they did end up sending.

My reaction would be to immediately shitcan them and go elsewhere. Not because of the outage, those things can happen. Not because of the lack of backups, because it's rarely a hosting company's responsibility to backup a client's website. But because of the 4 day delay in contacting customers with any information, and the complete lack of professionalism in the letter they did end up sending.

Agreed.

If the delay in response somehow didn't already do it, the grammar of that response alone would have me packing my bags and going somewhere else. 

I understand that expert programmers does not necessarily equate to being an expert in writing, but a real hosting company would have a separate department that handles letters like that, especially as it could easily become evidence in legal battles. 

Poor timing and writing of response == company working out of a broom closet IMO.

They really didnt have any backup anymore.  Next year i am 100% sure i will switch. Plus read the following email and is there any logic for giving customer the option to have backup service at different locations? As if asking tell us where you will like to die next time.

Dear Customer,

We have been informed that the hard dive has “Electro-mechanical failures” and, hence, there are very minute chances of repair.  We regret for the loss and please let us know if we can provide any alternative help.

Moving forward, we will be adding an option for customers to select an off-site (in distant geographical locations) backup services or Cloud Backup in USA (CA), Europe (Ireland) and Asia (Singapore) data centers, a service provided by Amazon.com.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.